Pregnant ..Sore bottom

Ruuann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My young girl is pregnant. estimating 52 days she has been licking at her anus tail area. She has very loose stools and is running to the box. We managed to get a look where's she's licking. We took pictures to help us see because she's not happy with us looking. I am wavering between her having an issue and this just being pregnancy effects.
Ruth Ann

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She looks raw from diarrhea and licking. Apply a warm, damp compress, then apply coconut oil for relief and protection. It’s non-toxic if she licks it. Reapply as often as needed so she’s covered. Poor gal, that must be painful.

If it’s not better soon, you’ll want to see the vet in case it’s fungal or bacterial. The former would require nystatin; the latter antibiotics.

Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ruuann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you! no coconut oil in the house... anything else OK until i get some?

Ruuann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. Update. She did good .. the bottom got better. She delivered Sunday morning. 4 beautiful babies. Now I have a worry about weight! One weighed 3.6 oz sunday night and 3.2 tonight. It’s a little tortoiseshell like momma. She seems to always being crawled over by the other three. Should I supplement? I have KMR which I’ve been giving momma for a few weeks now. And a syringe.

Ruuann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat delivered Sunday morning. 4 beautiful babies. She is a good Mom! I have a question about weight. One weighed 3.6 oz Sunday night and 3.2 tonight. It’s a little tortoiseshell like momma. She seems to always be crawled over by the other three. I'm not sure she is latching onto the nipple. Should I supplement? I have KMR which I’ve been giving momma for a few weeks now. And a syringe.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s not unusual for a kitten to lose a tiny bit right after birth, so see if she gains today. If not, either make sure she has a nipple when the others are sleeping, or begin supplementing 1-2mLs a couple of times a day. The weight is actually good as long as the kitten does not continue to lose, as the goal weight at the end of week one is 4 ounces.

Here’s a link to help with feeding:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

:)

Ruuann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks She did lose a little again this morning. It is clear from watching that she is having difficulties keeping her spot! She gets pushed aside and then gives up. I gave her a little bit of KMR and she lapped it right down. I will do this today every hour or two.

Ruuann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So. She still lost weight. She gone from 3.6 oz at birth. 3.2 the next night and 2.9 last night. We are using a syringe and KMR She’s taking about .75 ml every 1-2 hours. She roots against mom but doesn’t seem to find and latch to a nipple.m. Even when I hold back the rest of the kits. (The largest weighs 6.3!). Can I do anything to encourage her finding the nipple? And sucking?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At this point you need to begin supplementing this kitten every 2 hours regardless. Perhaps after a few days of supplementing she will gain weight and get strong enough to suckle mom. You’ll need to feed through the night as well to help her gain weight. The fact she is losing means she is not getting enough food. Your full-time intervention at this point is critical.

Ruuann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we tried but she passed this evening. It's really sad:bawling: I can't believe how attached I became in just three days! We do have three very healthy kittens though and a great little Mom!