Pregnant Or Just Fat? Lol

Chrysanthemum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I have a 1 year old female cat named Tulip. She’s a darling. However recently I noticed her looking rather round in her midsection. She’s usually quite a small kitty and I’m afraid she may be pregnant. Her nipples are quite pink as well. She does have a partner who is a male but he is merely six months old and when we took him in around a month ago for neutering, the doctors could not visualize his testicles. I’m worried because she has a very small frame and has lately been scavenging like she hasn’t eaten in a decade even after being fed and leaving food in her bowl. Here are some photos of her midsection.

Thank you in advance!xx

768EE8B0-6013-4B73-966F-A1603B0A5147.jpeg
D2B0EA51-D688-43B7-A376-95B838F2B026.jpeg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was the male neutered a month ago, or did the vet give up because they couldn't find his testicles?

Has she been outside unattended recently?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chrysanthemum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Was the male neutered a month ago, or did the vet give up because they couldn't find his testicles?

Has she been outside unattended recently?
Thanks for your reply!

No he wasn’t able to be neutered. The doctor said he couldn’t visualize any testicles. We are in a second floor apartment so she has no outside access

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, yes, if he's not neutered she may be pregnant. Males can still impregnate a female even if they are cryptorchid. Did the vet say what they'll do if his testicles don't drop? He will still behave like a tomcat so you're going to want to get something done. They'll have to go in through his abdomen like spaying a female.

Chrysanthemum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmm, yes, if he's not neutered she may be pregnant. Males can still impregnate a female even if they are cryptorchid. Did the vet say what they'll do if his testicles don't drop? He will still behave like a tomcat so you're going to want to get something done. They'll have to go in through his abdomen like spaying a female.
Our vet wanted me to wait until he matured more to see if they would drop... but now I’m thinking of giving them a call again to see what I can do. They said “if we can’t visualize them we can’t take them out”.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Um, can you find a new vet? Do they just not neuter cryptorchids? This is kinda irresponsible of your vet, especially if he knew you had an intact older female at home. Surely she likely is pregnant. You can still spay her and end the pregnancy, otherwise start saving up and preparing financially and start looking for homes for kittens...

Chrysanthemum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Um, can you find a new vet? Do they just not neuter cryptorchids? This is kinda irresponsible of your vet, especially if he knew you had an intact older female at home. Surely she likely is pregnant. You can still spay her and end the pregnancy, otherwise start saving up and preparing financially and start looking for homes for kittens...
Ill try I’m from a smaller town... rescources are so limited here. I asked my vet about spaying her while she was pregnant and he said they couldn’t perform that surgery....I don’t get it. I see people spaying their pregnant cats online sometimes...but mine just says they don’t do it. I’ll have to look around...:( I’m willing to do this, but I really don’t know what to do! How do I care for her?? I feel lost :(

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So first she needs to be fed kitten food, until you find a place to spay her now, or let her have the babies, she needs the kitten food for extra nutrition. Meanwhile call around, that is crazy your vet won't do it. Are you in the US? If you just tell us your city/state/country we can possibly find something near you.

Chrysanthemum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So first she needs to be fed kitten food, until you find a place to spay her now, or let her have the babies, she needs the kitten food for extra nutrition. Meanwhile call around, that is crazy your vet won't do it. Are you in the US? If you just tell us your city/state/country we can possibly find something near you.
I’m located in Seward Alaska. I’ll have to find some kitten food then!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise