Pregnant Neighborhood Kitten - How Can I Help??

JKnight

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's very friendly and affectionate, so I'd be willing to bring her inside to make sure she's safe and warm but our landlord won't allow it. It's still snowing off and on here, so I'm worried about her and the kittens. What can I do to help her?
I'll get pictures next time she comes around, maybe someone can help me estimate how far along she is?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The best thing you can do is get her spayed. If you can't provide shelter and care for the kittens, spaying will give her the best chance to survive and end the cycle of unwanted kittens. You can also try contacting local no-kills in the area to see if anyone has room for a pregnant cat.

Unfortunately, kitten season is hitting hard already this year so most groups simply don't have fosters or resources for more then they already care for. I know out of the 10 fosters I follow/know they all are at capacity plus and there seems to be a lot of motherless kittens being dropped off in boxes this year. But it is worth a shot to make the call and see if they can help. Most county shelters will not have the resources for a pregnant cat so they would likely just spay her as well.

If your landlord allows it, the final option is setting up a shelter for her and the kittens. But you would want to get them all spayed/neutered once the kittens are 8 weeks old otherwise the problem just gets compounded.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, set her up a shelter at least. Are you sure she isn't someone's cat in the neighborhood? You will have to find homes for the kittens if you help her, then get her spayed when the kittens are about 8 weeks old. Bless you for trying to help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JKnight

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Regardless of what else I'm able to do for her, I'll definitely get her spayed. I don't think she's anyone else's kitten because very few of the landlords in this small town allow cats and because though I just moved here, my grandmother and aunt have both seen her out consistently over the last year, and never frequenting one house or area. I might post up pictures around town, just to be safe.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Always a good idea to see if someone is looking for her. Hopefully your landlord will allow you to set up a shelter for her.

Abbiescatrescue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's very friendly and affectionate, so I'd be willing to bring her inside to make sure she's safe and warm but our landlord won't allow it. It's still snowing off and on here, so I'm worried about her and the kittens. What can I do to help her?
I'll get pictures next time she comes around, maybe someone can help me estimate how far along she is?
What area do you live in? Have you looked online for cat rescue’s in your area?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JKnight

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What area do you live in? Have you looked online for cat rescue’s in your area?
The only place I know I could take her is the humane society in town, and they're constantly full. I know there's a spca not too far but they make it very clear they're a limited-intake shelter and it's likely there will be a wait before they can take any surrendered pets.

Abbiescatrescue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The only place I know I could take her is the humane society in town, and they're constantly full. I know there's a spca not too far but they make it very clear they're a limited-intake shelter and it's likely there will be a wait before they can take any surrendered pets.
She shouldnt be a surrendered pet as she’s a stray, you could notify them of her so when they have space she can go in. They may be able to find a foster place for her :)

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have worked at a few humane societies and they would all take owner surrenders over strays, unless the strays were injured. I would look on their website and see if you can determine which they are more likely to take. I am not SAYING to lie but just so you know how to word your call.