Pregnant Kitten :-(

CihangirKedilar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My wife and I live in Istanbul and recently adopted two street kittens when they were about 2 months. One tom and one queen. They are about 8 months old now. Unfortunately, I think the queen is pregnant. I noticed about a week ago that her nipples we "pinking" and she has a 'burro' shape. Obviously I feel really terrible and guilty for allowing this to happen. We planned on getting them both fixed as soon as they matured but the queen got pregnant the first time she was in heat. I had read online that males mature later than females so I didn't think there would be a problem with waiting a little longer.

I am really worried about my lady. I am concerned that she is too young and giving birth will hurt her/kill her. What can I do to help her? What complications can I expect? I don't mean to sound ignorant but are there cat abortions?

Again, I feel really terrible for allowing this to happen. I plan on getting them both fixed ASAP. I just want to make sure that she survives. I would feel awful if anything happened to her. After all I took her in in attempts to give her a better life not to give her a miserable one.

Last edited:

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
You certainly can get her spayed and her kittens aborted! Do you know how far along she is? Many vets will spay/abort the kittens up until the last couple of weeks. We usually won't do it after the cat is 6-7 weeks along.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for saving those little kitties! Yes, it can easily happen that an unexpected pregnancy occurs and yes, you can have the pregnancy terminated by having the kitty spayed - the unborn kittens go under the anesthesia, so it isn't as traumatic as one would fear and is certainly a better ending than those kittens who are born in the streets only to suffer and die of disease or trauma.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to mention that they are probably littermates and daddy is mamma's brother. This would not be good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CihangirKedilar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies everybody. I went to the 24 hour vet in my neighborhood last night and made an appointment to have them both fixed. This has been a learning experience for me. Never knew cats were a fertile as rabbits. Still have a lot to learn. I'm glad I found this message board.