Pregnant Kitten 8 Months Old

Loverichardson12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi my kitten cali is 8 months old & having babies i believe she is do any week now but i dont know how to really tell when she is do. I believe she conceived around the end of October or the beginning of November and i also have a her twin brother & another cat that is 2 also a boy and a pregnant dog first time with both pregnancy how do i make sure she have a safe delivery p.s the boys are very playful.

Jojo’sMommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow you definitely got your hands full, wishing you the best. There was a stray cat that would ALWAYS come to my cousin’s garage whenever she is about to deliver. My cousin uses it as a storage and as you could imagine it’s packed with stuff. She’d hide in a corner behind junk where she can hide her babies and felt safe. I stopped counting after the 7th delivery. She usually gave birth at night when everyone was asleep. Long story short, cousin was fed up and kicked her out after what was the 18-20 delivery (her litter were a minimum 5 kittens). She now gives birth in a neighbor’s garage.

I’m not sure how this works but from what I’ve experienced, they like to hide when they give birth. Your cat most likely picked a spot if you haven’t set up a nest for her. Make comfortable shelter for her in the laundry room or bathroom. They like warm dark places based on what I’ve seen. Have a box ready and fill it with old unwanted clothes (you can place hay, or lots of newpapers in there then cover it with a blanket). Have food and water there as well. Some of the stray cats here end up eating one of the litter due to starvation, so definitely have food and water close by.

I’m no expert so hopefully someone here can give you better tips. Keep us posted on both delivery!

Oh and your dog looks adorable!!!!

:goodluck:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is she friends with the other animals? If so, its OK they have company if she so wants
If they arent friendly or clearly bothering her with the playfullness, be sure she can be alone and non disturbed in her safe room.
Is her bro neutered? If not, it may be him whom is the father Neuter him as soon you can manage. He may get kittens several weeks after the neutering, so beware!
She can get conceived again already a week after the delivery..

Have you seen ours articles on pregnancy and delivery? Read them... And prepare.
The exact time of delivery isnt easy to know, even for the knowleable ones.
For the others, its just to prepare as well as possible, and wait patiently, enjoying the marvel of nature.

If she is friends with you, she may want your company and assist, both with delivery and later on with the care of the kittens. If she is so so friends with you, she will anyways accept you do look see them, weigh the kittens every day and so.... As long as you do it where she sees you and notice no harm is done to the kittens.

Please come back if you have more specific questions or reports.
And if you dont find our articles... :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow you definitely got your hands full, wishing you the best. There was a stray cat that would ALWAYS come to my cousin’s garage whenever she is about to deliver. My cousin uses it as a storage and as you could imagine it’s packed with stuff. She’d hide in a corner behind junk where she can hide her babies and felt safe. I stopped counting after the 7th delivery. She usually gave birth at night when everyone was asleep. Long story short, cousin was fed up and kicked her out after what was the 18-20 delivery (her litter were a minimum 5 kittens). She now gives birth in a neighbor’s garage.

I’m not sure how this works but from what I’ve experienced, they like to hide when they give birth. Your cat most likely picked a spot if you haven’t set up a nest for her. Make comfortable shelter for her in the laundry room or bathroom. They like warm dark places based on what I’ve seen. Have a box ready and fill it with old unwanted clothes (you can place hay, or lots of newpapers in there then cover it with a blanket). Have food and water there as well. Some of the stray cats here end up eating one of the litter due to starvation, so definitely have food and water close by.

I’m no expert so hopefully someone here can give you better tips. Keep us posted on both delivery!

Oh and your dog looks adorable!!!!

:goodluck:

Your advices are sound as far as they go. Tx!

I have a couple of comments to your narratio.

1. That poor stray, momma of many litters. The trick in all such cases is to take her in a trap, and spay her... End of unwanted pregnancies... After a couple of days reconvalescence, she may be released back outside. Spayed she will manage nicely.
I suppose you live somewhere where its warm, where cats gets 2 litters a year? Sometimes even 3...

2. Nay they dont eat one of the kittens because of starvation. Cats are usually good mothers. They do it when the kitten has died or is terminally ill. If they cant carry it away, they eat it up. They dont want the smell attract predators or ants to the nest and endanger the other alive kittens.
And with so thight pregnancies and possibly also inbreeding, there will always be at least one whom dies or gets sick already as a kitten.

Taken care of by a rescuer, such a weak kittens can often be saved if the caretaker is vigilant and vigorous... But out in the wild they do die...
This is one of the reasons why its important to weigh them every day. Its the easiest way to notice if someone begins to fall behind, doesnt add weigh as it should... If so, such a kitten shall be immediately supplementary feed, and if necessary get also more personal care No quarantiees, if its faulty for real it will probably die anyway, but many ARE saved this way.

Jojo’sMommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your advices are sound as far as they go. Tx!

I have a couple of comments to your narratio.

1. That poor stray, momma of many litters. The trick in all such cases is to take her in a trap, and spay her... End of unwanted pregnancies... After a couple of days reconvalescence, she may be released back outside. Spayed she will manage nicely.
I suppose you live somewhere where its warm, where cats gets 2 litters a year? Sometimes even 3...

2. Nay they dont eat one of the kittens because of starvation. Cats are usually good mothers. They do it when the kitten has died or is terminally ill. If they cant carry it away, they eat it up. They dont want the smell attract predators or ants to the nest and endanger the other alive kittens.
And with so thight pregnancies and possibly also inbreeding, there will always be at least one whom dies or gets sick already as a kitten.

Taken care of by a rescuer, such a weak kittens can often be saved if the caretaker is vigilant and vigorous... But out in the wild they do die...
This is one of the reasons why its important to weigh them every day. Its the easiest way to notice if someone begins to fall behind, doesnt add weigh as it should... If so, such a kitten shall be immediately supplementary feed, and if necessary get also more personal care No quarantiees, if its faulty for real it will probably die anyway, but many ARE saved this way.
Thank you for educating me, I’m new to this and still learning. I currently work in a third world African country. So there aren’t any vets where I am. The pregnant Mama would get pregnant multiple times a year, seemed like she was pregnant every couple of months. Once her litter reached a certain age she would take them hunting and I guess teach them how to fend for themselves. After some time of training we would no longer see the kitten. After what felt like a month the Mama would come back pregnant, deliver the next litter and the cycle continues. I personally witnessed 7 pregnancies in a year or less then stopped counting. The cats here seem to be in constant heat cycle, and give birth all year long.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't let the boys near her until she is spayed or they've been neutered for at least 3 weeks. Males can retain sperm in the tubes for a while after neutering and still get her pregnant, and she can get pregnant again right away after giving birth (nursing doesn't act as birth control like it kind of does for humans). It's very hard on a cat's body to get pregnant again so soon, most unspayed strays die from that. Not to mention the population problem you'll soon have if she keeps having litters.

She is very young and may need a c-section, so keep the vet's number close by. Her brother may be the father of some or all of the kittens, hopefully they won't have any inbreeding-related issues (the first generation of inbreeding usually doesn't cause too much trouble, so it depends what their ancestors were up to, if there is any inbreeding in their recent background), but be prepared for some issues.

Be sure to read up on how to hand-raise kittens in case she can't figure it out. Most cats are good mothers, but again, she is very young and might not know what to do.

Cats are pregnant for 9 weeks so she should be having them very soon. Can you feel them moving yet?

I personally witnessed 7 pregnancies in a year or less then stopped counting
In different cats, I assume? Cats are pregnant for 9 weeks so one cat can "only" have 6 (well, 5.75) litters per year at the very most. In tropical areas they just breed and breed with no breaks, it's very sad. Overbreeding usually kills a cat after 10 litters or so; the cat you've seen must be a very tough mama to have survived this long. I know there's a way to use megestrol acetate as birth control for cats when spaying isn't available---if you want to help the cats in your area you could look into that.