Pregnant Free Roaming Cat

smoer0420

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new here. There is a pregnant free roaming cat who has been hanging around our house. We live in the country, so it's pretty normal to see a lot of cats around. We've been feeding her, and I plan on taking her in to get spayed after she raises her kittens. Yesterday afternoon, I went outside and she was super clingy and meowing a lot. She kept following me around, so I thought she must be hungry. I got some food out to offer her, but she wasn't interested and just kept meowing like she was trying to tell me something. I noticed she had a little bloody discharge (not much - just spotting). I brought her in our garage and made her a little safe area to have her babies. We have several dogs and I don't want them to interfere with her labor. However, I don't notice any other signs of labor except the spotting. We are almost to 24 hours since I brought her in our garage. She has just been sleeping most of the time and has pretty much stayed in the spot I made for her. She doesn't want to go outside, but she did accept some soft canned cat food and drank some water. Is labor near? I have no experience with animals in labor. She's not pushing or anything and I can't really tell about contractions. She seems like she can't get comfortable, but doesn't really seem to be in pain. Can anyone offer some help? Thank you!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds as though she may be in first stage labor, which can last a good 24 hours. You did the right thing to bring her inside where she and her kittens can live safely.

Put her food, water, and litter box nearby, and sit with her as often as you can for comfort.

How much discharge is she having?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smoer0420

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds as though she may be in first stage labor, which can last a good 24 hours. You did the right thing to bring her inside where she and her kittens can live safely.

Put her food, water, and litter box nearby, and sit with her as often as you can for comfort.

How much discharge is she having?
Ok good to know. I read a different article that said only around 6 hours, so I was beginning to worry something might be wrong. It is not much discharge at all and watery with a pink tint. Thank you for your reply!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That is exactly what pre-labor discharge looks like. She’ll have them! Be patient! :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good you gave her the help she begged for, to come inside into some sheltered place.

Its surely near now.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
if you have time maybe go to the store to get powdered KMR and needless syringes incase of needing to supplement mom. you can prepare a bowl off KMR for momcat daily as well. Get some kitten chow and feed that to mom. It has more calories adn mom will need those calories for nursing. It's good that you have a safe place to keep mom n babies..

If you have time, post a picture of momcat as we love pictures here!

smoer0420

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, she is! She has delivered three so far, but one didn't make it. I think because she did not clean off the sac quick enough. I broke the other two sacs, but she is somewhat ignoring them. I am hoping that I am not interfering too much with the process, but I didn't want to see the other two die. :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You did the right thing! Continue helping as needed. Moms get tired, and don’t always settle down until they are done delivering.

smoer0420

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has settled down and is being a wonderful new mommy. ❤ I am so thankful for your help and the helpful articles that guided me on what to do for her.