Pregnant Foster Cat / is it normal to obsessively lick one area of her pregnant belly...?

jander

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

While I am a long-time cat care taker and am quite familiar/ comfortable with most elements of cat wellbeing, this is my first time helping a kitty through pregnancy and birth.

She was rescued from an outdoor colony and after initial vetting + wellness check, she is now living with me until she and her kittens are ready for their future homes (and yes, she will most certainly be spayed before leaving my care ;)

She is as sweet as can be and though she was raised fully feral, she has adapted seamlessly to indoor home life and absolutely loves meeting new people and melting under anyone's kind touch. Her gentle and affectionate personality will make for a wonderful mother, I have no doubt.

But as a first-time pregnant cat "mom" myself, I am finding it difficult to get certain questions answered through Google alone. So hopefully this community of knowledgeable and experienced people can help weigh in!

My main and most pressing question is about her obsessive tendency to lick and chew at the area where her protruding stomach meets her lower ribs. It is clear to me that there is a kitten positioned there, but I can't tell if her obsession with that specific spot is 1) because it is uncomfortable having the baby intrude into her ribcage so she is attempting to keep it positioned correctly or 2) is because there is something wrong with that specific baby, maybe a struggling fetus or worse, one that has already died or 3) the baby in that position is closest to her senses, so she has identified it as a favorite and is giving it motherly love in whatever way she can, or, last of all, 4) this is entirely normal behavior among most pregnant cats and is so common that no one thinks to mention it in all the pregnancy education guides circulating out there 😅

I'll attach a photo of her in this favorite position to help describe what I am referring to, and also to show off how adorable this soon to be little mamma is 🥰

PXL_20240207_050251275~2.jpg

I am calling her Moma, since she is housing some amazing works of art in there (pronounced like Moe-mah for the famous museum of modern art in NYC) and also because she is a literal Mom-a :))

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jander

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I suppose I should also mention that I have not yet felt or seen any movement in her stomach at all yet. I do not know how far along she is since I have only known her for a little over a week, but most of her signs indicate late stage pregnancy/ birth at any moment, so I would presume movement should be noticable by this point...? I would think?

Destinee1022

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Honestly I’m not sure my pregnant cat is doing this as well

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Kitten Lady

Thank you for helping Moma. She is a beautiful little girl. You would know this much more than I would, but when a very sweet cat is rescued from a colony they are often abandoned pets.

The Kitten Lady website will give you a lot of very specific information in one place. Cats who are close to giving birth will sometimes lick their abdomen and genital area, although I can't conclusively say that is the only reason. Seeing movement of kittens can depend on some variables such as the size of the mother and the number of kittens.

Are you fostering on your own or with an organization? If the latter, is there a vet that they work with?

jander

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Thanks so much for the reply and for the link to the Kitten Lady site! I will be visiting her resources constantly, I predict!

It is still a mystery whether or not her attentive licking around that rib area indicates anything specific or not, but I suppose sooner or later, the answer will be revealed once her "Labor Day" arrives. Fingers crossed it is just a sweet healthy baby who happens to be tucked under an area that Moma finds particularly distracting 🤞

And I do agree - such a personable cat quite likely has experience as someone's previous pet. Based on the friends that rescued her, it would have been very early in her life, as she has a distinct (and soooo adorable) tooth the sticks out from her mouth, and has been a noticable part of their neighborhood colony for the past 6 or so months, growing up under the collective care of outdoor porches equipped with food, water, and protected shelter (and active TNR services).

My friends were actually attempting to convince Moma to warm up to them and come inside for several weeks, after noticing an un-neutered male cat starting to stalk her against her wishes. Their hope was to bring her in and get her spayed before mating season arrives, but as it happens, her growing belly under their initial care (first thought to be from finally feeling secure / safe access to consistent meals) turned out to be... more than that.

They did a wonderful job building her trust and acclimating (or re-acclimating) her to indoor life, and were so upset to learn that they were too late to prevent the very thing they didn't want happening. But on the bright side, now Moma will be able to continue on as a loved cat with a permanent home, and her babies will be properly cared for, fixed, and will be one less family in the colony adding to the future generations...

Well, this reply / backstory has turned into quite a long post 😆 Sorry.... I think I have been spending too much time in cat duty over here and not enough time in human conversation 🤣🤣

Destinee1022

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yea based on this picture of her how far along do you think she is

jander

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is completely adorable. I am really guessing not feral and never was.
I suppose we will never know her full story, but feral, lost, or abandoned, she has definitely spent the past 6+ months of her 1-ish years of life living among the neighborhood colony and up until this point, too fearful to make direct contact with any of the people monitoring the group. But regardless of her past, she will most certainly have a homed future ahead of her. I love imagining her securely bonded with her forever family, whoever they may be, and feel grateful that she is one of those cats who shows her full potential to prospective adaptors without a warm-up period, which just makes the whole process faster and easier than for all the incredible kitties who need homes but, regardless of how wonderful they are as pets, don't show as well when first meeting strangers 💔