Pregnant Feral Need advice

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi There It's been so while since I done any feral work but a pregnant one started to peep in my back door and I couldn't resist trying to help.

I need some possible advice on what to do. The last time I did feral work I was in New York and they seemed to have more outlets and resources for this. I moved to Wisconsin and I've tried the rescues and vets near me and my local vet made a big deal out of seeing a feral and said that they really don't do, and most of the programs closed during Covid and never reopened.

The human society told me they could see this cat the earliest Dec 22nd. Which by then she will have had her babies. Things I'm worried about is her having the babies in the cold weather and them not surviving. Her having the babies and now there's more feral cats that cant be placed in homes. I don't have the resources to take care of an entire colony right now plus the place I live in I rent so I don't want to upset the landlord etc.

I built a shelter yesterday but she won't use it yet. I moved it to a place today a little further away so maybe she would feel more comfortable. It's nice and has a heating pad.

It doesn't look like termination of the pregnancy is possible bc at the moment I cant get her seen maybe soon I dont know but it feels a bit late in the game for this judging by her belly.

I just started to feed this cat on a regular basis 3 days ago so I'm building trust and learning about. She seems like she could come inside one day as she had made big progress just in these 3 days.

Any thoughts on what I can do??? I thought about trapping her and bringing in my garage to have the babies. I have other cats and don't want her to come in I guess till she has been to the vet. Anyone know vets in Wisconsin that handle ferals?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
How socialized is the cat given that she is a feral? Does it seem as if she can be handled if you got her to a vet? It is actually the same out here and there are vets who will ferals and vets who will not. Most rescues have a vet that they use and I wonder if one of them would share the name of a vet who might help. The reason I asked about her socialization is that I wondered if you called a vet and explained that she was a stray or a cat that you had come across in someway without bringing up the word feral if it might change the story. Your idea of bringing her in the garage to protect her is certainly a very kind one. If that is possible I would do that and I am also speaking as someone who has chased entire litters around the neighborhood trying to collect all of the kittens once they were running everywhere. If you are suspicious that it might be too late to terminate this might become your best solution.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally agree with the previous post. She peeped in the back door? I really think she could be a stray or abandoned kitty. Since COVID, many cats are being dumped and since she is pregnant, it it could be even more likely. If she has been on her own awhile, she could appear feral but really just be in survival mode. I really hope you can get her in somewhere. Once inside you can see if she is actually feral, semi feral or lost kitty. To locate any rescues near you for networking to find resources just doing a Google search by listing your town, city, state, county and the words cat rescue can help. It should bring up something and a call or text may link you up with a good vet. Thank you for helping her!!! Please keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How socialized is the cat given that she is a feral? Does it seem as if she can be handled if you got her to a vet? It is actually the same out here and there are vets who will ferals and vets who will not. Most rescues have a vet that they use and I wonder if one of them would share the name of a vet who might help. The reason I asked about her socialization is that I wondered if you called a vet and explained that she was a stray or a cat that you had come across in someway without bringing up the word feral if it might change the story. Your idea of bringing her in the garage to protect her is certainly a very kind one. If that is possible I would do that and I am also speaking as someone who has chased entire litters around the neighborhood trying to collect all of the kittens once they were running everywhere. If you are suspicious that it might be too late to terminate this might become your best solution.
Yes that is what I'm worried about trying to find these kittens. If she was using the shelter then I would assume they all stay in there, but she must have something better. I do live in the country where people have vacation homes and the general area she comes from I know the people are not there. So she might like the quietness of it. Probably feels safe. I mean she lives like a queen I bet if it wasn't for winters. A beautiful view by a lake haha.

Since I just started feeding her I don't have a good grasp on her personality but we made some progress in just a few days she will stay out with me there but runs if I get to close. To me she seems like she would be able to be handled at a vet with the right people but it's unpredictable once they get in that cage. She has been pretty aggressive towards my cats just through windows. Which is another fear if I bring her in that there's no chance of everyone getting along even if I can accomplish all the things before that.

She is drinking so much water which makes me think she might be near the end and have the babies sooner than I thought but I don't know. I'll post a picture maybe you guys have a better idea I had a cat have babies in my yard but at the time I was young and had no idea she was even pregnant. She did it all on her own and eventually brought them to me but this is new territory trying to intervene ahead of time. Maybe the garage is the best. I am going to call around today some more to see if I can get her seen somewhere.

Last edited:

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I totally agree with the previous post. She peeped in the back door? I really think she could be a stray or abandoned kitty. Since COVID, many cats are being dumped and since she is pregnant, it it could be even more likely. If she has been on her own awhile, she could appear feral but really just be in survival mode. I really hope you can get her in somewhere. Once inside you can see if she is actually feral, semi feral or lost kitty. To locate any rescues near you for networking to find resources just doing a Google search by listing your town, city, state, county and the words cat rescue can help. It should bring up something and a call or text may link you up with a good vet. Thank you for helping her!!! Please keep us updated!

She did peep in my back door lol a few times but I think it was she was drawn to my cats. I have 3 and they sit at the back door. Or she decided hey I need some help. She also pooped right outside my back door and before I realized it was her I was mad at the neighbors thinking their dog did it. Lol

I have been googling like crazy with no success. Either my phone call or message goes unanswered or I'm told no. A lot of the vets by me would will not even take new clients. I am told that they are overwhelmed since covid being an inflex in pets with not enough staff. So a feral is out of the question. To me that's a bit hard to believe that even 40 mins to an hour away I can't get this cat in. I also emailed the human society back asking if they can at least give me some feral friendly vets near by. No response yet.

I definitely have not exhausted everything but there is the pressure of time. I don't even have a trap. I can buy one but I was at the store near me and they are obviously not the more sturdy ones the rescues provide. They seem like they would work in a pinch but I went online and some of the reviews scared me like it injured the cat. It's the Hav a Heart traps and some farmers something. But it might be what I have to work with.

As for her temperament she does seem like just an outdoor cat. Most likely a barn cat. I'm in the country. I don't get the sense she was a pet but it's been only 3 days I don't know her well enough yet. I can get about 10 feet away from her before she runs. I'm going to post a pic of the belly I got on camera maybe you can give me an idea of how far along. I am Guessing 4 to 5 weeks?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
As for the Havahart trap, I own several and have not had a problem with them. We can help you with the trapping end of this if you need advice. TruCatch is a very good trap, but can be harder to get. Professional humane wildlife relocation companies in my area use that brand.

Rosie is definitely not in the extreme feral category. You would not have that pic of her on your steps if she were as she would not stand that close to you. Her little tummy is definitely visible, so the kittens might be on the way. I am not the best at judging, but it is clear that she is expecting.

Feral Friends Network® Connect
You might try this link. It is easy to fill out, and free, so no loss if you never hear back. Make it clear you are asking for advice only, not for them to take the cats, and that you need a vet, maybe advice on trapping, etc.

If she is walking okay, I would not worry about the feet right now unless she seems injured or impaired. Female cats can be polydactyl and if you get close enough it is easy to spot without trying to touch her.

I would keep trying to socialize her in any way possible. Treats, sit next to her if you can, or near her, talk to her. If you think that she might let you try to touch her, use a wand type toy with a soft washcloth on the end and extend it toward her.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As for the Havahart trap, I own several and have not had a problem with them. We can help you with the trapping end of this if you need advice. TruCatch is a very good trap, but can be harder to get. Professional humane wildlife relocation companies in my area use that brand.

Rosie is definitely not in the extreme feral category. You would not have that pic of her on your steps if she were as she would not stand that close to you. Her little tummy is definitely visible, so the kittens might be on the way. I am not the best at judging, but it is clear that she is expecting.

Feral Friends Network® Connect
You might try this link. It is easy to fill out, and free, so no loss if you never hear back. Make it clear you are asking for advice only, not for them to take the cats, and that you need a vet, maybe advice on trapping, etc.

If she is walking okay, I would not worry about the feet right now unless she seems injured or impaired. Female cats can be polydactyl and if you get close enough it is easy to spot without trying to touch her.

I would keep trying to socialize her in any way possible. Treats, sit next to her if you can, or near her, talk to her. If you think that she might let you try to touch her, use a wand type toy with a soft washcloth on the end and extend it toward her.
Thank you I'm going to check out this site. None of the organizations I reached out to recently haven't replied back which is a bit frustrating. Noted on the Havaheart I'm going to get one tomorrow. They had them at the store so that's easy.

I spent the day setting my garage up for her. Right now I have it a little bit open at the bottom and food leading in to show her and at least get her sleeping in there. But I don't know of she will go for it. I cleaned it and put 3 places to sleep with heating pads a litter box and stuff. I'll just park in the driveway for now to not disturb her. I'm praying she goes in. I'm so nervous she's having the babies now and I missed the opportunity. But one day at a time.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are doing everything right and everything that you can do currently for this cat. I hope that it works; please keep us posted.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just a little update on this cat. She isn't pregnant she has super really bad worms. Causing a pot belly. She threw up the other day and it was all worms. I have a vet appointment lined up for the end of November.

But some good news is she's finally using my heated shelter. The garage was a bust she wouldn't naturally go in.

I also have her earing about halfway into the trap so things should go smooth. If all goes well I'll try to keep her inside once she is vetted. If this doesn't seem possible I'll let her back out but continue to care for her outside.

Shes been hanging around more by me and I'm trying to continue forming a bond with her. She does dissappear when the weather is nice so she seems to enjoy her freedom but I'm hoping she will adjust inside.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are making great progress with her and it sounds like she may have potential to be a pet. She must be shocked to have a heated shelter. If it is possible, let the vet know that you would be interested in a cancelation if she could be seen sooner with the worm. Would they allow a sample to be brought in earlier? I know you had trouble finding a vet in the first place, so this might not be possible.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I could possibly get to the vet sooner but I worry about the trapping. This gives me lots of time to feel confident that I'll get her for that day. So I didn't push anything for sooner.

Rosie doesn't like to keep a consistent schedule and the days its really nice she won't come till super late at night.

I do however have someone I know who does rescue getting me some good dewormer. I should have it by Tuesday. If I get her to eat it in some food I will be good to go till the appointment.

I also have some natural stuff that has pumpkin seed powder in it I've been sprinkling on her food in the meantime. I've read some things about that being a good dewormer.

I took a picture of what she threw up and sent to the vet and she seemed to think it was ok till then. She did tell me to try and get some dewormer. They just couldn't give to me bc she hadn't been seen yet. From the looks of what she threw up she's eating some furry friends outside. I'm guessing mice from the color of the fur. So I'm guessing she's getting stuff from that.