Pregnant feral cat

Mushandthefamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, we have a pregnant feral cat that we’ve been trying to catch for a couple weeks. Finally we located a drop trap and we’re ready to trap her.
She didn’t seem big at all but suddenly now that I’m looking at her outside she seems kind of large and tomorrow we’re going to trap her and take her to get an abortion/spay but I’m concerned about the kittens being viable and I’ll be basically euthanizing kittens…
I’m torn on what to do. I’m a cat foster for a rescue and I know what’s going on in shelters, but I feel torn…at what point are kittens viable in the womb?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Mushandthefamily Mushandthefamily Thank you for trying to help this cat.

Actually kittens are not viable until very late in the pregnancy. StefanZ StefanZ or Sarthur2 Sarthur2 will be able to tell you exactly, but as far as I know they have to be 60 days into a 65 day gestation cycle to have the best chance of survival.

Your vet should be able to scan the mother cat and tell you how far into the pregnancy she is, but this article might help too.

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth? – TheCatSite Articles

I take care of feral cats too and I've had to spay-abort pregnant cats a few times. It is heart breaking, but better than the fate that a lot of feral born kittens face.

We're here for you, whatever you decide to do.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how tough this can be. If the mom is big, they may be viable but you can ask the vet. Some vets won’t take the kittens if they are really close to birth. Mine won’t but best to check. An exam by a vet can determine more. I know the best thing is to prevent pregnancy but sometimes we just get the mom too late. I am hoping for the best for you, mom and that it is not too late to get a pregnancy spay accomplished. If you are a foster, I hope that if kittens are born, you can get them into safe homes. There are far too many ferals that suffer. I have had very good luck with socializing ferals and their kittens if this becomes the only option. Please Trap mom either way. Thank you for helping!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m not a fan of a spay / termination past the halfway point, which is generally around the 6 week mark or 42 days. Kittens are viable and not premature at 63 days, and most are born between 63 to 68 days. If this cat has bulging sides, she is likely in the latter part of her pregnancy and may have a large litter. At this point the vet may have to euthanize the kittens if they are fully formed. It can be a more complex procedure because many of the cat’s blood vessels are dilated to support the pregnancy and must be tied off. Often, the mother cat does not do well with late spay /aborts because she is primed to produce milk already and care for kittens. She eventually recovers but it is much harder on her than with a regular spay.

If you are able to foster her and her kittens, that might be the way to go. She may learn to trust and become adoptable herself.

It’s never an easy decision. Please let us know what you decide.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You had got good answers.

With humans, childs may be viable really halfway, ie about 4,5 month plus and 550 g plus; at least, if the hospital is good enough. The child / adult to be may even be healthy with any luck. 7month may be good enough even without super advanced hospital care.

Not so with cats... Even if there ARE cases of kittens surviving born days before day 60 which is normally the absolute minimum, but its not common. They simply mature in the last few days of pregnancy, especielly their lung system.

That said, its of course not pleasant to spay in late (or very late) pregnancies, especielly when the kittens will move some before they die by themselves because of these underdeveloped lungs. (that is why vets in this situation make the end easier).

So, most rescuers and most vets wont do a late spay. Both ethical reasons, and its more difficult for both cat and surgeon.

However, vets cooperating with shelters are often used to such situations, and thus, used with these late spaying... Some do it quite routinely. With such an experienced vet, the operation isnt dangerous.
Not pleasant, but a quick way to lessen the pressure on the shelters and the need to find foster homes.

Essentially, saving those whom can be saved, and letting go the others.... :(

Talk it over with this vet you have access to, and take your decision from there.

However you do, we will support you.

Hugs!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mushandthefamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, I’m going to take her tonight to get spayed. Too many kittens in the world. She is an older cat…hope that she’ll be fine and takes the anesthesia well ❤❤❤

Mushandthefamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, the rescue I took her to didn’t have openings today, so she’s going tomorrow. I’m a bit crushed over this news, as I know it’s a race against time at the moment. Attached is a pic of her yesterday before we trapped her. Any ideas on how close she is?
AEABED5A-CC82-48E7-B71B-847A871E783C.jpeg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Have you already trapped her? If you can show us a picture of her sides, looking down at her from above, we might be able to give you a better idea.

Is the vet going to spay her no matter what or are you going to have her scanned first to see how close she is?

Mushandthefamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mama kitty had the surgery and everything went well. I’m feeling awful about the abortion.
I didn’t realize I’d be feeling so sad about it…but I feel really terrible, kind of nauseous too. I feel so bad for the poor kittens.