Pregnant Community Cats/ Tnr Anxiety

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We bought a house and found that there were a lot of cats roaming the neighborhood. In the 3 years we've been here we have brought in two adult males and kept them. Each of those are long stories for another thread:)

In November one of the cats we see a lot started coming onto our porch with kittens. We are a bit upset with ourselves because we assumed she was spayed. She's not very fearful of humans- she behaves like a pet cat and so we assumed we had nothing to worry about. There was another cat who looked very much like her but with darker points and a thicker body- a himalayan type so we figured some neighbor had two cats (either a mother and daughter or siblings) that they let outside. We also saw a manx roaming around. We assumed someone local just had a few purebred cats and let them outside. In our area- culturally people feel it is right to let cats have time outside and we cannot change public perception overnight. Yet again we assumed they were being taken care of. They looked very healthy and though none come up for leg rubs they do approach and will hang out nearby lounging as I garden. Ttwo of the three will come up close for food or sit 10 feet away and watch what I'm doing and listen to me talking about tomato plants.

But we were wrong. I think none of the cats are fixed. Luckily the smaller female brought the kittens around us and it took us about 5 days of standing outside with food to get them to come closer. We trapped the kittens just using carriers and food and contacted the no kill shelter that we volunteer with. They agreed to take the kittens if they were tame. So we tamed them down. They had fecals, deworming and their vaccine series. They are recovering from spay surgeries (all 3 were females so very glad we got them off the street!) and getting ready to go to the shelter this weekend or early next week.

I had to order a trap for the mother of the kittens though and it came in today. We've already arranged things with a local mobile vet that we've been using for the kittens (and also our 4 resident cats) so we could do TNR on the kitten's mother but she hasn't come around in the last week or two. We have seen the other female who usually comes around very rarely. She looks very heavily pregnant.

I plan to trap her today or tomorrow whenever I can get her. I'm a little worried because we were really planning to get the mother of the kittens and just do a simple TnR (hold her her until she recovered from surgery) but now the priority has shifted to getting this other heavy female before she has kittens outside in some unknown location. I spoke to the vet and she might not be willing to spay/ abort if the cat is very far along. Even at our shelter we volunteer at they will do spay aborts until a cat is very close to delivery but at a certain point they won't do it. I understand some places will do it no matter how far along they are- but the mobile vet we work with is one we trust and respect and even I am having icky emotions about terminating kittens that are pretty much ready to be born.

So now, I'm setting up for the possibility of housing the mother and a litter until they are weaned. The female is not a true feral but she is shy and does not come as close to us as the one we were planning to trap next (we will still trap that one as well when she comes by again). So for the third time I'm a bit anxious about having to keep a nervous cat in an albeit nice enclosure. I do work at the shelter and am used to handling cats but as far as the outdoor community cats I'm always very cautious and don't try to push boundaries with them for their sake and mine.

Growing up my parents had cats and we did get litters. So I do have experience with all the aspects- bottle feeding, kittens that are nursing but die, kitten illnesses etc. Most experiences were fine with the mother cat doing all the work but the hard ones were emotionally hard and leave me anxious. It's just been too long because for the last 25-30 years we have only dealt with our own pets who we make sure are spayed/ neutered and we see our vets so frequently that we can call at anytime just to ask questions. Of course the mobile vet is very very responsive and a true blessing...still I am anxious about having a new cat from outside coming in and maintaining her through her delivery and since I know about fading kitten syndrome and FiV- I'm just wary. Sure I took in two male cats since I've moved in this house and took in 3 kittens but those were all under different circumstances- one male was deathly ill, one was a friendly abandon and the kittens - were kittens so were naturally curious and easy to tame.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going to bump this, --there are a lot of members here with the kind of experience you're looking for. Also, this site has a terrific library of articles, (I'm on my phone and don't know how to copy any for you) but if you take a look through them you're likely to find some helpful tips. Good luck!!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my! What a situation! Unfortunately this problem is a pretty common one :/
I definitely would get the VERY pregnant momma inside for her to have her babies safely. I might have skipped over it in reading, but do you have a bedroom or bathroom you could close her in until her babies are weaned?
Definitely getting the other females spayed is high priority!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have a spare bathroom. We just have one tiny bathroom that is too small for a litter box (we keep ours in our bedroom and have a few in the living room). We don't even have a toilet paper holder in our bathroom- it's that small:(
I was using the basement- which is finished with windows and tiled floor so it is easily cleaned- it's kind of perfect for a kitten room and it is as kitten proof as can be. We don't have any chemicals and a real limited amount of cords. I had a medium sized dog crate I used initially when I brought in the two males and I borrowed a large dog crate from someone when I brought the kittens in. I used the medium crate as a holding area for when I was cleaning. I also had a zipper-topped pet playpen that contained them when the main crate was being cleaned- they loved that thing.

Last week I got a bigger dog crate delivered. Right before our basement had a clogged cleanout trap issue and flooded. The kittens were moved upstairs right away into the new bigger crate. This one is so big I can sit in it and even kind of lie down in so it's great for socializing. I put that one in the upstairs spare room where we keep our lizard- a bearded dragon. The dragon is no threat to a cat but the cats ARE a threat- not so much to the lizard itself but to the screen top and the heat lamp system (cords, and a very hot bulb) so normally we keep the door closed to keep all kitties out. The other problem with the spare room is that it's an old house so there is a good amount of space under the door. Our alpha female likes- no loves- to play footsie under doors with new cats.

So to try to be brief, I always have kept the newcomers in the basement until they are vetted and have been with me for at least 2 months before letting them have contact with the 4 resident cats and that includes under-door footsies.

My real hope was to get the kittens out and get the mother trapped but things did not work out that way. I know their mom was in heat and I saw males following her at the end of January. She hasn't been around the house for the last week- so I worry she's nesting somewhere. The one that looks like her (heavier with darker points and lacks the blue strabismus eyes) is not a regular in our yard but has been coming around more often over the last few weeks and last week she looked like a 15 lb bag of very lumpy potatoes.

I'm absolutely a nervous wreck because she is so close- I know that they start to appear less plump right before giving birth as the kittens start to turn in the body. I'm afraid I'll trap her after she's had the kittens but I won't be able to tell if she's had them or if it's just baby shifting and it could be a day or two or three before the vet gets here to check on her if it's over a weekend. Kittens left that long will surely die. But at the same time I'm stressed because I know the three kittens I caught back in november were from a litter of four- so there's one cat out there intact and old enough to breed now- unless it's met a bad end or was taken in by someone else. I hate that feeling of not knowing and getting an incomplete litter. Sure I got three off the street but one is out there intact possibly. That's all it takes to exponentially increase the problem. One male and one female is really all it takes to start a problem.

My whole goal in this was to control and prevent a population burst but I've never undertaken anything like this before. Last night I realized that one trap- catching one at a time is going to be a challenge. Best case scenario I can afford to get one or two cats TnR'd every pay cycle- so that's at most 4 cats a month. Until I get them all they will keep breeding.

And on top of it all despite my experience with animals I'm still very wary of outdoor animals. Even just handling the trap and releasing the cat last night made me feel anxious. It all went to expectation for the most part... and no one got hurt so that's really the important thing I guess.

I'm also very paranoid about angering the neighbors. This is not a community where we know each other. Some of these cats may very well be owned and fixed but left to roam. I read about sending out fliers and going door to door to tell neighbors that there will be a trapping- but I can't do a mass trapping with one trap and just me and it's not that kind of area where you would feel comfortable knocking on doors.

A lot of this is venting long-time anxiety. I do apologize.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's good because I feel like a crazy person worrying about everything and feeling a bit guilty that I let indecision delay doing anything. I'm still afraid I'm trapping and altering someone's pet. I released the male yesterday because he's only recently started coming around and doesn't seem feral but today I saw him pursuing another female in heat. She is not feral and again is a cat we thought was someone's pet that gets let out and we assumed she was fixed. We've seen her around for a few years and we've never seen her in heat or looking pregnant.

So I really feel like these three females need to get spayed ASAP. The one I saw today will be easy to catch but again I'm not looking to start a neighborhood war by altering someone else's pet.

I haven't seen the female that looked heavily pregnant since before the trap arrived a few days ago.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I feel like it is best to be sneaky, so the neighbors don't know what you are doing. I worried about the neighbors at first, but now I have decided the welfare of the cats is what is most important. Somebody has to be in their corner. Doing TNR is a learning experience, but we are here to support you, so you are not alone. Thanks for helping the kitties. I understand the worrying, but you are doing the best you can do. That what I try to remember when I worry about the cats.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I guess I'm going sneaky. It's just time someone did something humane. We just had a female here in heat attracting males. We had so many cats we've never seen come around. We trapped one male and as I was going to the trap to cover it up with the sheet I saw a few little cat heads poking out from underneath the fence watching to see what was going on- none of them were faces I recognized.

So I think our local problem is much worse than I knew a week ago. Right now I have one female crated in the basement. She's not so feral and is pretty calm. I have another one on the screened in porch with a trap set. I hope she goes in before I go to bed because she looks heavy. I'd hate to miss the opportunity to get her before she delivers somewhere. It'd be so much easier to trap just her instead of trapping her and kittens. Of course I know not to leave the trap set overnight.

I also met a man in town who lives a few blocks away who took in a couple of kittens (and adopted out three others) 2 years ago. He describes the momma- and I think it's the mom or the grandmom of the kittens we have right now in our spare room. We have a lot of cats here but only 2 (or possibly 3 we are not sure) are very himalayan looking so I think it's one of the same kits we see in our yard. That leads me to think that there is no one acting responsibly for them and left as is we will just be swarmed with cats until it's so bad the county comes to round them up en masse.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Got her! These trucatch traps are the best! Now I can sleep once she's settled (she seems pretty settled right now actually but I'll stay awake just to make sure she's not nose-rubbing the cage etc) and cuddle the kittens that are likely her daughter's offspring before bringing them to the nice no-kill shelter where I have a 3 tiered enclosure all set up for them.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so awesome you have a no-kill shelter who will take them. I wish we had some of those where I live. Good job on trapping those kitties. Keep up the good work.

Dannisair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are doing a GREAT job!!! Be sure to watch for any unusual discharge. Normally cats are completely fine to give birth but rarely they have complications. Be sure to feed this mommy some kitten food, high quality preferably since she is providing for quite a few mouths! If you are able take her to a vet and get her ultrasounded to be sure all babies are healthy. I had an unfortunate situation where babies were deformed and dead and beginning to kill Mom. This is very rare and unlikely but the ultrasound showed and we were able to save her life. When kitties are pregnant they tend to be more affectionate so take advantage and try to gain her trust by talking to her softly every day. Be patient and remember you are doing the right thing! :)

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's really the kittens that are the lucky ones! They will be going to a shelter where they will be allowed out and as long as they get along with the other cats there they will be given a lot of freedom. I hope one of them decides to make camp at the reception desk. Greeter cats get adopted continuously and one of these kittens is a "hey howya doing?" type.

I left a message with the mobile vet but I don't expect to hear back until tomorrow. I will have her fully examine both of the trapped females. She will likely want to do an ultrasound to see how far along the mother cat is to determine if she's comfortable doing a spay abort or if she is too far along we will be setting her up for birthing indoors. This momma is absolutely gorgeous- blue eyes, fluffy tan coat with a dark mask, ears, legs and fluffy tail. She's absolutely a stunner. The other little lady would've just been fertilized last week so we will just do a spay on her.

The beautiful one we have now might actually be a third cat. In our mind we've had two of these himalayan type cats in the area. One was bigger with darker points and darker eyes, one was smaller with lighter points and blue strabismus (crossed) eyes. The one we trapped is smaller with dark points and blue regularly shaped and not crossed eyes.

The other female escaped her enclosure last night while I was trying to take out a plate of older wet food and she had to be retrapped. I hope she calms down over time. I'd love to find out that either one of them can be brought indoors. But if she doesn't she'll have to be returned outdoors because I need the enclosure she's in to continue trapping and fixing.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well the mobile vet came out today and we had a fun time trying to get the recently in heat female in a carrier. She got out of the enclosure and was running around leaping everywhere. Luckily we had foam insulation sheets so we made a little tunnel and put the trap in there. When she went behind the foam sheet to hide I moved it to the wall so she could only go through the "tunnel". She fought the anastasia too. What a fighter. But in the end she got spayed, vaccinated and examined and she's recovering now. We'll keep her in until the snow from this next storm melts and then give her the option (which I'm sure she will take) to go back outside.

The other one was too unruly to handle. The vet and the assistant tried- they really did but it came down to doing mild sedation which could hurt kittens if she's carrying so we opted not to go ahead. So instead we are going to keep her for 3 weeks and see if she's popped by then. But no ultrasound or anything. They couldn't restrain her to even palpate for kittens so we are not even sure if she's pregnant but by 3 weeks we should have a better idea.