Pregnant Cat's Sudden Behavior Change

Octafrre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I picked up this cute stray cat last Sunday. She's pregnant (I don't know but I guess it's 5-7 weeks old). She was, well, lazy but completely aware of her surroundings. She used to follow me around, meow a lot, and roll around on the floor. I started giving her dry food since her first day here and she was completely okay with that (she ate a lot and always wanted to eat more). The change happened yesterday (Wednesday morning). It was very sudden. I went out to buy food at around 10 AM and went back 30 minutes later. She was acting normally before I left her but she became like a completely different cat when I went back. She barely meows, is more lazy, doesn't even wanna touch her food bowl (yes, she hasn't eaten anything since the change until now, Thursday 10 AM), has only used her litterbox twice only for peeing, and doesn't even purr (she used to purr like a lawnmower before). She also became completely distant now and hides under my car. Whenever I try to touch her she acts like she's annoyed and moves away. I don't know what I did wrong. Any ideas? Is she going to give birth soon? Or is there any other problem?

Crazycatlady1129

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How far along is she? The behavioral changes you mentioned could be a sign that she is in labor. Have you set up a nesting box for her? If she isn't that far along in her pregnancy, she could be having complications that require a vet visit. Is she licking at her vagina? (Awkward question but also a sign of labor.) If it's her first litter, she likely won't want you near when she goes into labor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Octafrre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How far along is she? The behavioral changes you mentioned could be a sign that she is in labor. Have you set up a nesting box for her? If she isn't that far along in her pregnancy, she could be having complications that require a vet visit. Is she licking at her vagina? (Awkward question but also a sign of labor.) If it's her first litter, she likely won't want you near when she goes into labor.
I'm not sure about the pregnancy's age. Her tummy is big but I've seen pregnant cats with bigger tummies. I guess her cage is enough for nesting (it's a cardboard box with plastic mesh for the front side and door with some cloth and papers in it) but I'm not sure (she's my first cat send help). About the licking thing, yes she licks her bottom. I thought she was only cleaning it after litterbox visit. Well hopefully it's just her going into labor and not some serious thing. I'm leaving her home with my parents until Saturday so I hope all goes well

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You wrote hides under your car. Is she outside?

Octafrre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You wrote hides under your car. Is she outside?
My house is small and the car is basically in front of the main door. It's outside the front door but inside the fence and everything inside the fence is roofed. I always leave the front door open even before I got the cat. EDIT: I attached a picture. It's how my house basically looks like

Attachments

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I see. No changes otherwise?

I agree with the others, she seems to be in pain of some sort. Either prelabor, or early labor. OR something else hurting her. That is the last variation which is the grave, serious one to worry about...

Octafrre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much. I won't be home until Saturday so I hope nothing serious is going on with my kitty as I'm not on her side

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She needs to be inside your home to give birth. She may also need to see a vet. She may not be well. Who feeds her in your absence?

Octafrre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She needs to be inside your home to give birth. She may also need to see a vet. She may not be well. Who feeds her in your absence?
Yes, her bed is under our sofa (the sofa has a big space under it) so I really hope she chooses that place for giving birth. I'm planning to visit a vet as soon as I get back home. My parents are home and take care of her while I'm away.

My mother called me last night. She said my cat was still like this but was starting to eat normally again. I'm so happy. At least she gets the nutrition she and her babies need

Crazycatlady1129

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she is still behaving like that, with no kitties being born, when you get home, take her to the vet ASAP! A cat can safely remain in labor for 48 hours- any longer than that means there is something wrong. And if she is behaving like that without being in labor, something is probably wrong.
A nesting box needs to be easy for mother to get in and out easily and safely, needs to be large enough for her to move around, with a comfy blanket, in a dark and quiet corner

Octafrre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry for the late update. The cat is fine and now she behaves normally! She even eats more than usual and purrs like a lawnmower again. And no, no kitten yet but we're still waiting and we hope the pregnancy goes well!