Pregnant cats first litter

LunaSky221

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone,
My cat Luna is pregnant, first litter, and yes I plan to get her fixed after this. I have a few questions regarding her pregnancy. I’m new at the cat pregnancy thing. I’m not sure how far along she is but I can see and feel the kittens move. Also she’s recently been favoring laying flat on her back, I’m not sure if this is normal as I can’t find anything online about it. She’s still eating but very little at a time and longer stretches during the day. I’ve noticed her thirst has increased a lot too. Given the kittens moving, how long can I estimate to see kittens?

Finka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If the kittens are moving, it may not too long till the birth time. I've been experienced with many pregnant stray cat momma before. It may less than 2 weeks, make sure to stay with her while she seems about to give a birth. Cause the first pregnancy may a bit hard for her, especially if she's under 1 years old. I remember when the young stray cat gave a birth (My family like to share some foods for stray cat around my home, so we have cat visitor very often), and she just confused what to do and follow me around. She won't stay still and I had to stay beside her with latex glove and wet cotton fabric to wipe the kitten, cause the momma won't clean the kitten from the slimy things, I don't know what it's called :p

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, as said above, it at most 2 weeks left. She will probably "drop" shortly before the delivery, ie suddenly appear less obvious pregnant. Most cats do so one or two days before delivery...
Yes, its common they try to relieve themselves by lying on the back.

If she wants and allows belly rubs, do so, its a nice massage.

And read on and prepare as well you can!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LunaSky221

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the replies so far! I figured about 2 weeks maybe even less since I’ve been seeing movement for a week now. I made her a birthing box with warm soft blankets but she has no interest in it. I put the box in a secluded quite room as well. Today and yesterday she was walking from room to room she just seemed restless. I’m hoping maybe she’ll take interest in the box soon. I’m glad to hear her laying on her back is normal, she’s never done this til just recently. I’ve helped birth 2 litters of puppies but not cats and from what I’ve read, seems to be a lot of the same concept.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Roaming around is normal too. I’m glad you prepared a good place for her to have the babies. Don’t be surprised if she chooses somewhere on her own though. The roaming is a bit of looking around to decide the best place , in her mind, as well as just an instinct of restlessness. Just keep watching her. She may settle on a spot soon and start hanging around that place more. You may see her get very snuggly and rub against you more as she gets closer to delivery time. Physically, it is very like puppy delivery.

LunaSky221

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,
My female cat Rosie is pregnant. She snuck outside and well you know how it goes.:headshake: Anyway, she was gone for 3 days and came back March 3rd and seemed to be still in heat at that time. However I have been seeing the kittens move for 2 weeks now and I read that 2 weeks before birth is when they start moving around. Only thing is the dates don’t line up and would make her really early, about at the 52-53 day mark in her pregnancy. Currently she is hiding under my bed and has been kind of a recluse most of the day. I am scared that she will have the kittens early due to the dates and what I’ve experienced with her when she came back home. What do you guys think? Could she just be one of those cats that you can see movement early? I’m new to all of this so I appreciate any insight! P.S yes I do plan to get her fixed right after this litter!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's pretty variable when you can see kittens move. It can be possible to see kitten movement as early as the 5th week of pregnancy, although many people do not notice it until the 7th week or even later. Since you do know the dates when she was in heat and went outside, I would go by those dates, rather than estimating from kitten movement.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree! She really needs another week at least. Perhaps she is just getting extra rest right now.

LunaSky221

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I made a post a week or so ago about my cat being pregnant. She is 61-64 days as of today. Not sure when she was mated but she disappeared for 3 days at the end of February. Anyway, I’ve noticed since last night she doesn’t look as big and when I pick her up to put her on the counter to get to her food dish she doesn’t feel as heavy as she did before. Have the kittens dropped? Is she losing weight? I would appreciate any insight! She’s due any day now!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Perhaps, since the weight of the kittens has shifted from her mid-section to further back.