Pregnant cat

Rileyy66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats (what I assume to be) water broke around 12:30 am the night before last. Temp under the arm has been between 100.1 to 99.7. Kittens are still moving. She’s had a bit of diarrhea. Eating small amounts at a time and drinking water regularly. It’s been about 31 hours since we seen her water break. How much longer till we start seeing contractions? We are getting a little worried about her. She’s not meowing, just making a few little purrs every now and then. Please help!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She’s probably laboring now. Labor does not always begin immediately when the water breaks. It’s difficult to say when the bigger contractions will come, which lead to pushing and delivery, but it sounds like you’ll see kittens in the next 24 hours.

Is this her first litter? How old is your cat?

Rileyy66 Rileyy66

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rileyy66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She was stuck in my car when we found her. We found her on August 3 so we haven’t had her very long. She’s a very tiny cat. I’m not 100% on her age, going by her size we didn’t think she was even a year old. And then we noticed she was getting a bigger belly really fast. It’s going on 37 hours and she hasn’t progressed any. She’s really tiny so I just don’t want her to struggle or anything happen to her. The first photo was the night we found her. The second photo was taken about an hour ago.
IMG_6869.jpeg
IMG_7694.jpeg

Rileyy66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s been 42 hours and she still hasn’t progressed any at all.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is she just resting? No contractions?

Call your vet when they open and get her seen to make sure all is okay. The vet can also give an injection of oxytocin to stimulate contractions.

Rileyy66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s just resting. She’s been sleeping so much more since her water broke.
IMG_7693.jpeg
IMG_7696.jpeg
IMG_7687.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please get her to the vet tomorrow for a checkup. I hope I’m wrong, but things don’t seem quite right to me. The lethargy and lack of progress are concerning. I’m wondering if she’s running fever or developing an infection. It’s time to see the vet!

Rileyy66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m starting to think it wasn’t her water that broke and maybe it was just her peeing. She’s been eating small amounts and drinking regularly. She doesn’t seem to be in any distress or discomfort. She’s just sleeping a lot.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I was actually going to ask the same thing — if maybe it wasn’t her water breaking after all. She’s clearly not laboring, not in distress.