Pregnant cat?

luvkitti3s

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. So I took in a stray when she was a kitten, not sure how old she was, but she was very small. I had her for about three months until one day she ran away. She was missing for a week less than 2 months, until I was walking home and she came up to my house, appearing to be pregnant. Her stomach isn’t too big but it’s hanging a little bit. About four of her nipples have increased in size, the others are still small and difficult to find. My worry is that the enlarged nipples are puffed up as if there is backed up milk in them? Although I’ve read that the milk comes in around the time of labor and I’m thinking it’s too early? I’m not sure if it’s mastitis or if she already had a litter? Which i don’t know if that’s possible considering how long she was missing, plus she hasn’t been trying to go back to them if that’s the case. Prior to her running away, I always kept her inside not having any chances of her becoming pregnant. Can anyone educate me to figure out if I should do anything? Or if she needs any medical attention? I’m planning on getting her spayed soon I just need to know if she’s pregnant or not and don’t have money to go to the vet often. If more information is needed plz ask!🙏

(sorry for the low quality picture)

Attachments

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! The picture doesn’t allow to check at it very well but it seems that she hasn’t had her babies yet.
If she had delivered (especially since she has no kitten around to breastfeed) she would have her nipples way more bigger than that.

My guess is that you’re going to have some beautiful kittens. Also spay when she’s done or take her to a vet if you can still stop her delivery in a healthy and safe way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvkitti3s

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! The picture doesn’t allow to check at it very well but it seems that she hasn’t had her babies yet.
If she had delivered (especially since she has no kitten around to breastfeed) she would have her nipples way more bigger than that.

My guess is that you’re going to have some beautiful kittens. Also spay when she’s done or take her to a vet if you can still stop her delivery in a healthy and safe way.
I’ll try and get better pictures of her nipples to upload tomorrow. I guess it’s more of underneath her nipples that created different shaped lumps. Thank you for the info!

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hopefully this helps, not sure if this is normal.
If there are no kitties nearby she may had them and have not come back… in that case it could be mastitis. Either way if there’s a possibility that she didn’t have any kitties then take her to a vet, it’s important

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She looks pregnant to me. Her belly looks full. It appears she has licked off the fur around her nipples in preparation for kittens. It does not look inflamed like mastitis.

You say you took her in young and she had no chance to mate before she got out for 7 weeks, so she may have mated while out. If so, cat pregnancy runs 63-68 days. This means she may be due soon. I suggest you wait it out to see what happens. If everything you say is correct, she’s due to have kittens in the next week or two.

Is she eating well? Have you seen nesting behavior? Do not let her outside at all and please keep us posted!

luvkitti3s luvkitti3s

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvkitti3s

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She looks pregnant to me. Her belly looks full. It appears she has licked off the fur around her nipples in preparation for kittens. It does not look inflamed like mastitis.

You say you took her in young and she had no chance to mate before she got out for 7 weeks, so she may have mated while out. If so, cat pregnancy runs 63-68 days. This means she may be due soon. I suggest you wait it out to see what happens. If everything you say is correct, she’s due to have kittens in the next week or two.

Is she eating well? Have you seen nesting behavior? Do not let her outside at all and please keep us posted!

luvkitti3s luvkitti3s
Yes, she’s definitely been eating a lot. I haven’t noticed any nesting behavior but I’m prepared for whenever she is ready for labor. Tysm for the info, I’ll post of any updates!