Pregnant Cat

mgiannelli89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So about 6wks ago I rescued two pregnant cats. They got X-rays when I got them to verify pregnancy. Now I have concerns.
The last few days I’ve been really diligent about checking temperatures and just taking notes on their behavior so I can recognize changes.
Well today I noticed that my one female doesn’t look pregnant anymore. However she’s been with me all night and day. There is no way I wouldn’t have noticed her having kittens. I’ve already looked all over my house for kittens and have checked her for signs of kitten birth and haven’t seen anything yet.
do cats stomachs “drop” when they prepare to give birth? She was very skinny from being a stray so not seeing the stomach has me worried. I have to wait until Monday to call her vet but like... 😭 I’m worried!! I’ve been concerned since I first picked her up and she was covered head to toe in fleas and ticks.
I played kitten noises too just to see if she would start searching for any babies and alll she did was search my bedroom... any insight would be appreciated!!

I have another cat who is also due any day now, and she is very large but I’mworried about her too since I haven’t felt any kittens moving. In either cat. I’m mentally preparing myself for all these kittens to be dead. I’m over here freaking out about these two cats. 🤦‍♀️

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, kittens “drop” down closer to the birth canal in the days preceding labor and delivery. Hopefully head first so they are not breech. Also, towards the end, the kittens are bigger and so more squished and less movement. Since you’ve confirmed the pregnancies in x-rays, things should be okay. Thanks for taking them in! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mgiannelli89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, kittens “drop” down closer to the birth canal in the days preceding labor and delivery. Hopefully head first so they are not breech. Also, towards the end, the kittens are bigger and so more squished and less movement. Since you’ve confirmed the pregnancies in x-rays, things should be okay. Thanks for taking them in! :)
Thank you. 😭 it’s been years since I’ve been around a pregnant cat. And I’m just trying to make sure things go well.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you. 😭 it’s been years since I’ve been around a pregnant cat. And I’m just trying to make sure things go well.
How is it going? The first one should have delivered by now.

In the second one I guess you are may be feeling them move now...

But as you say, with rescued cats, whom were emaciated and or undernourished and in bad shape, we cant know nothing for sure. its just to hold thumbs, prepare as well you can (which you did) and try to assist them as well you can (which is your determination to do).