Pregnant cat?

prettykitty57

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I took in a feral mama cat a few days ago. She has five kittens that look at least 8 weeks. When we first saw her we thought she was for sure pregnant because her belly is pretty big, it’s also hard. This morning she threw up twice, and her belly has dropped I think. She looks skinnier than she did yesterday, but her belly is still big when she’s laying down. What does this mean? The picture with just one kitten is the day I brought her in, the other picture is one I took just now. When she’s laying on her stomach it looks a lot bigger. I’ll get a picture of her like that once she’s done feeding the kittens
38BF3AA0-9469-4BB4-997C-DDF165A7BDCF.jpeg
07BCDBA8-594F-4E77-9A67-863074A5B2FD.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is likely pregnant again, poor thing. You’ll need to get her spayed after her next litter is weaned, and do not let her outside or around any intact males until then.

Are her current kittens eating solids now too? They’ll need to be kept apart from the newborns once they are here as mom will need all her milk for the new babies.

Feed mom unlimited wet and dry cat food, as she needs as much nutrition as she can get. Buy a can of powdered kitten formula (not Hartz) and give her a dish or two a day for the extra calcium she needs. She must be close to labor and delivery soon if she’s dropped.

She is beautiful and so are her kittens! Do you have all five of them? Thank you for taking her and her kittens in! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

prettykitty57

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is likely pregnant again, poor thing. You’ll need to get her spayed after her next litter is weaned, and do not let her outside or around any intact males until then.

Are her current kittens eating solids now too? They’ll need to be kept apart from the newborns once they are here as mom will need all her milk for the new babies.

Feed mom unlimited wet and dry cat food, as she needs as much nutrition as she can get. Buy a can of powdered kitten formula (not Hartz) and give her a dish or two a day for the extra calcium she needs. She must be close to labor and delivery soon if she’s dropped.

She is beautiful and so are her kittens! Do you have all five of them? Thank you for taking her and her kittens in! :)
We plan on spaying her for sure. I’ve been feeding her unlimited amount of wet food for kittens and the kittens also eat that. I do have all five of them, but the other two were sleeping in one of the other cat beds. How close do you think she might be?

prettykitty57

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s now being aggressive towards her kittens and tries to attack them when they annoyed her. I separated them, and put the kittens in cages so they wouldn’t bother her. Though when they started whining she started growling. I feel like I should take them into the house so they don’t bother momma, but my parents really don’t want that. (I keep them in a 6x6 house outside with everything they need). What do I do?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Definitely bring the kittens into your bedroom. You’ll need to get a plan to find homes for them. They are old enough now. Do you have a friendly no-kill shelter nearby that can take them to adopt out? They would also spay and neuter them as well.

If mom is growling it’s most likely that she is close to giving birth again (hard to say how close), but she is tired of nursing them all the time. They have teeth now that can be painful during nursing.

prettykitty57

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Definitely bring the kittens into your bedroom. You’ll need to get a plan to find homes for them. They are old enough now. Do you have a friendly no-kill shelter nearby that can take them to adopt out? They would also spay and neuter them as well.

If mom is growling it’s most likely that she is close to giving birth again (hard to say how close), but she is tired of nursing them all the time. They have teeth now that can be painful during nursing.
We kept the kittens in the little house and took her inside in a guest bedroom. She’s been doing fine, but today she went into her nesting box and peed in it. She still uses her litter box so I don’t know why she did this. We will be taking the kittens to a no kill shelter nearby if they have available space.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may have been confused since your bedroom is new to her.

How are the kittens doing without their mother? Is she calling for them?

prettykitty57

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She may have been confused since your bedroom is new to her.

How are the kittens doing without their mother? Is she calling for them?
The kittens are doing good, and the mom has been more vocal but that’s about it.