Pregnant cat with brown/pink discharge. 48 hours later not in active labor?

Ashley777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat that is now about 63-64 days pregnant. Roughly 48 hours ago she had this brownish pink mucus coming out of her. It had no smell at all. She's not acting lethargic or ill. However I'm concerned about her not having gone into active labor yet? This is her first litter of kittens. The mucus disappeared the next day (she licked it away). Still eating and very affectionate acting. Yesterday she was very restless acting but today she has been relaxing in the same spot. I guess what I'm asking.. is this discharge normal looking for prelabor? Why is it taking so long for her to birth her kittens after having this discharge? Do you think shes had a miscarriage? I will bring her to the vet if necessary.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashley777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: she's now holding a leg up in the air and walking kind of funny. Cleaning herself alot. Going in and out of her nesting box

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Update: she's now holding a leg up in the air and walking kind of funny. Cleaning herself alot. Going in and out of her nesting box
The first wasnt much worrying, but the second is more worrying... The first could be Braxton Hicsk, but the second looks as labor had began. First phase may be even 24 hours... What you must look up with, if the active phase is very long without results... say over 40 minutes; contact your vet for asap consutlation.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats can begin discharge several days in advance of labor. It sounds as though she is very uncomfortable and that early labor may have started. Things sound normal to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashley777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats can begin discharge several days in advance of labor. It sounds as though she is very uncomfortable and that early labor may have started. Things sound normal to me.
The first wasnt much worrying, but the second is more worrying... The first could be Braxton Hicsk, but the second looks as labor had began. First phase may be even 24 hours... What you must look up with, if the active phase is very long without results... say over 40 minutes; contact your vet for asap consutlation.
She has gave birth to 2 kittens so far. The first one did not make it but the second one is doing good. She is sleeping now and it has been 7 hours since she delivered the last kitten. She has ate some wet food and is nursing the kitten. For about an hour after she delivered the last kitten she seemed like she was straining every 15 minutes like she was trying to push out another one. She has passed some more redish colored mucus. Do you think more kittens are coming? How can I tell if she is in distress or if she is having interrupted labor?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She has gave birth to 2 kittens so far. The first one did not make it but the second one is doing good. She is sleeping now and it has been 7 hours since she delivered the last kitten. She has ate some wet food and is nursing the kitten. For about an hour after she delivered the last kitten she seemed like she was straining every 15 minutes like she was trying to push out another one. She has passed some more redish colored mucus. Do you think more kittens are coming? How can I tell if she is in distress or if she is having interrupted labor?
You really cant know if it was the usual afterpains and has some natural after bleeding, or if she has more to come...
As long she isnt in distress, you can wait and see. Either there is more to come, or she is done... Im not mocking; this situation is quite common!

You will probably notice if she is in distress... But as long she isnt, you can wait and see.

Ps. another matter. IF she ends with just one kitten, you may perhaps wish to get in some foster kittens?? So your only will get company?? AND you are doing a good, praiseworthy deed?

Let the vets nearby know. And or possibly, shelters nearby. They almost always need extra moms... It may be a very big litter, or it may be orphans. The only to look up with, is the new kittens dont have some disease with them... Say something nasty their momma died from...