Pregnant cat suddenly not wanting to use litterbox.

becca.plue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello.

Here is some backstory. On 4/13/21 my husband and I adopted a flame point Siamese girl. On 5/15/21 we found out that she is pregnant. We were told then that we had two to three weeks. As I am typing this it has been 18 days since we found out that she is pregnant. I have had her for 50 days exactly and we found out that the owner had let her outside for about two weeks. So this girl is between 50 and 64 days pregnant. At this point we have seen babies move, nipples look like they could have dried milk on them. Just today it seems like she has had a temp decrease.

But.

The last five days her stools has gotten wetter and looser. Now it's liquid. The vet isn't concerned at a. Says she's in the first stage of labor. Makes sense. Hormones cleaning out a system. What I do not get though is the fact that she seems to refuse the litter box now. I have cleaned up so many puddles and small piles. I am overwhelmed. Two days ago I noticed peeing outside the box, BUT only in the nesting boxes I provided. Most of these events happen at night. From what I understand cats can do this is they don't feel good, which I'm sure she doesn't. I have added a second box in the room her nesting boxes are in(the only room of the house I can seperate her) and that didn't help. I am getting cat attract litter tomorrow.

I guess my question is has anyone else experienced a pregnant cat having an behavioral litter box set back that went back to normal after babies?

Oh I forgot to add. She is nine months old. I do have other animals on the house. Two dogs and another cat. He is two and has been fixed since he was eight weeks old. He is not aggressive and overall their relationship has been fine. Just today I had both of them on my bed and they bird watch together.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When they have problems with the "stomach" its common they cant keep their usual litter discipline. so this isnt a question of behavior, but of being sick.

anyway, try with having several boxes - it MAY be so, she wants to poo in one box, and pee in another.

As she has much diarrhea, you must add electrolytes (ie salts). Easiest and best is a flavorless pedialyte for babies.

But in a pinch you can sprinkle a trifle kitchen salt into her water or her food. If you have minerale kitchen salts its even better.
This will also encourage her to drink more - which she needs too, as she is losing fluids.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Five days of loose stools seems excessive. See if your vet will prescribe an anti-diarrheal. Also try adding a teaspoon of plain canned pumpkin to her wet food. It usually helps to firm the stool. Poor thing must be miserable.