Pregnant Cat! Overdue?!

JessicaLucy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After some advice...
She’s pregnant.

My dates work out she got pregnant when she was in heat (which was also when we found out or other cat was Male! - as we were told female and never corrected by a vet until we sore them mate)
Which was the 28th of January. She was in heat for apx 6-10 days.

Which means the ‘least’ pregnant she can be, is if she got pregnant the last day she was in heat (7th feb) which is 58 days, which would make them due - 6th of April.
And the ‘most’ she can be is, if she got pregnant the first day of heat, which would make her 74 days pregnant? Which is WAY over.

So roughly working it out as the middle of her heat cycle, makes her due around now.

So, Thursday last week she was nesting, Friday last week she lost bloody discharge and was spotting, Because of this we took her to a vet. Her temp was 102f and she was fine. Eating, sleeping, seemed completely fine.
Monday she was dripping collustom from her nipples (sorry for the incorrect spelling)
We took her in Wednesday for a scan, but it stressed her out too much, and as she wasn’t showing and ‘visible’ signs of being unwell, and was rather relaxed they said they’d leave her be and see if anything happens and if not to take her back today.

Yesterday lunch time she had what looked like ‘contractions’ but this lasted about 20 minuets.

So I’ve just had a phone call.

Because the baby’s are still SUPER active, they’re not concerned.
She’s barely eaten for 2 days, and has become very restless walking around looking for a nest.
But also is sleeping a lot, (it seems to come in waves of exhaustion and hunting for a nest) they’ve said they’re still not worried and will wait until Monday to see her again unless she bleeds or becomes visibly unwell.

She has a cage set up with blankets, also has a box with blankets, and a few other hiding places she could have them.. but she’s not interested in any, and hasn’t found anywhere.

Yesturday she was following me everywhere, keeps jumping at any noise (even the kettle!)
And keeps cleaning everything except her bits!
And today she is very relaxed but also keep randomly jumping up and sprinting around the house (almost like she’s full of energy again,) and then falls back to sleep!

My vets aren’t worried, but I am!!
She doesn’t seem unwell in herself, I’m just worrying about why she hasn’t had them yet!
She’s a VERY petite kitty, so even though she doesn’t look ‘THAT’ huge to be due, she’s absolutely MASSIVE compared to usual.

Any advice?

Thankyou ❤

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Scuh is always difficult. But 19 of 20 its best to wait it out... With a human woman, if in doubt you can always make a cesarean. But a too early cesarean on cats is highly dangerous for the kittens, kittens dont manage to be premature too early... Also, the cesarean seems to be a strain on momma and kittens - we see often some of the kittens dont make it, even if cesarean done correctly...

At the same time, cats seems to manage a little too long pregnancy better than humans..

So I agree with your vets. Be watchful, because it may quickly turn touchy.
But be calm, prepared - and wait it out...

These contractions you noticed could be the Braxton-Hicks contractions. Its way of nature to prepare the muscles for the real work. They usually come several days before the delivery...
If you feel the kittens be active, she has probably NOT dropped as yet. When she drops, kittens go into the birting positions, and dont move as much.
When she has dropped, its very near. Day or two left...

Prepare, be calm and patient, wait. Good you DO have access and support from good vets!

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can also go into heat during pregnancy and carry two litters at the same time. If your cat became pregnant from the first mating you saw (Jan 28)) she would be overdue. Have you seen her mate a second time? Is she eating? It is dangerous for a cat to stop eating.

But I am not an expert. Other members will advise better. This advice came from our advisor Stephan while I was writing this post. :)

Have you had your tom cat neutered? She could become pregnant again very quickly after delivery.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

JessicaLucy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, yeah she has been nibbling on food, and he was neutered yesturday.
They mated everyday for the 10 days I believe. As I couldn’t keep them apart and the vets couldn’t book him to be neutered as their wasn’t space and they said the chances are she’d already be pregnant.
They stopped moving LOADS last night and one feels like it’s under her Mammory glands now? X

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, yeah she has been nibbling on food, and he was neutered yesturday.
They mated everyday for the 10 days I believe. As I couldn’t keep them apart and the vets couldn’t book him to be neutered as their wasn’t space and they said the chances are she’d already be pregnant.
They stopped moving LOADS last night and one feels like it’s under her Mammory glands now? X
Tom cats are still fertile for some time after being neutered. It takes anywhere from a few days to eight weeks for the remaining sperm to be entirely gone from the male’s system He must be prevented from having access to her as she can become pregnant again immediately after delivery.

JessicaLucy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I am aware. He is at my friends house for the next 2 months. Thanks but this isn’t what I was asking for advice on.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since your queen has not been kept from your tom cat during her heat periods the mating date is not known with certainty. Your vet has advised to wait until monday and advisor Stephan has explained the situation. Should your queen go into labour before Monday and she starts pushing for more than 20 minutes without delivery taking place she should be rushed to the vet.

Last edited:

JessicaLucy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I only posted this morning.. she has been in one of her nests for most of the day asleep /: x

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps rub her belly if she allows and wants. Its a nice massage, and also, helps somewhat things going...

JessicaLucy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, she had one about 2 weeks ago now. and it was just the one,but sadly a few days later it got a bacterial infection the vet said it’s probably from such a long labour (she was pushing for an hour, we called the emergancy vet out and she had it, they both appeared fine after birth so the vet left; happy that it was just the one, But a few days later it got ill, they tried to treat it but it was to weak so didn’t make it. She is home, spayed and back to normal now. Thanks.

Attachments