Pregnant cat off food

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, first post here

My pregnant cat (around6-7 weeks pregnant) is off her food for past 2 days or so. She will eat a few bites and then smell it and walk away. She does prefer dry food (not a lot) and will eat treats if i offer them to her.
Is there any reason why she is like this. I have to add that she was always a picky eater anyway and doesn’t have a huge appetite like my other cat when not pregnant.
Just to add this is her first and only litter she is going to be spayed after.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she lethargic? Using the litter box? Are you for sure that is how long she has been pregnant? Have you tried feeding wet food heated up as extra enticement?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is she lethargic? Using the litter box? Are you for sure that is how long she has been pregnant? Have you tried feeding wet food heated up as extra enticement?
She is more tired then usual but not out of the ordinary. Also, she is allowed outside and refuses to use her litter box. I have been trying to keep her indoors for majority of the day but she had an hour outside today. So i can’t really answer that question. She doesnt use her litter box overnight, i just assumed she went out to do her business.
Yes, i am quite sure she is that far along judging by her dates she went into heat.
i will try the heated up food. Thank you
P.s. i have booked her in with the vets for next week to confirm her pregnancy.

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She went missing from 12 feb to 14 feb and heat started a few days prior to the 12th i hope i have worked it out right.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may have a UTI if she’s holding her urine until you let her out. If so, she will need antibiotics. She may have fever and not feel well. Get her checked for a UTI pronto.

In the meantime, fill her litter box with sand or dirt since she prefers outside. It may help her to use it.

She really shouldn’t go out at all, especially after having the kittens. She can go into heat and be missing and get pregnant again as soon as a week after having her kittens. They will need her so try to train her to use the box now.

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She may have a UTI if she’s holding her urine until you let her out. If so, she will need antibiotics. She may have fever and not feel well. Get her checked for a UTI pronto.

In the meantime, fill her litter box with sand or dirt since she prefers outside. It may help her to use it.

She really shouldn’t go out at all, especially after having the kittens. She can go into heat and be missing and get pregnant again as soon as a week after having her kittens. They will need her so try to train her to use the box now.
She used to go out whenever she wanted but lately i have been keeping her in for the safety of her kittens. I will not let her out at all anymore and hopefully she will have no choice but to use the litterbox. I have a vet visit booked for her anyway in a few days but if i am still concerned i will try and get an emergency appointment. Thank you

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a thought could this be from stress? She is going through a change of being allowed outdoors to not being allowed anymore

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could be, that’s why putting sand or dirt in her box might help.

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be, that’s why putting sand or dirt in her box might help.
Will try that thank you. She has an appointment at the vets today anyway, i managed to get an emergency one because she hasn't eaten much today and i am concerned.

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please keep us posted and do ask about a possible UTI.
Went to the vets and turns out the lady booked us in for tomorrow by mistake so waiting again hopefully.

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is she doing?
Her appetite has improved slightly, she is having small meals throughout the day. However still refusing litter tray (she went 48hrs holding it in) so i have been watching her outdoors a few times a day. Otherwise acting completely fine and her normal self.