Pregnant Cat May Be Overdue

nxm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I read all of the posts on overdue cats but I am looking for some advice specific to my situation.

I live in the country, and a ~6 month old kitten was dumped in my backyard 65 days ago. We took her to a different vet than we usually do (because he was closer - less of a drive for her), and he thought there was no way she could be pregnant, even after we brought her back in a few weeks later with all of the signs. Fast forward to her spay date, and she is definitely pregnant, and too far along to spay. So we are having kittens (and we are not going back to that vet).

The last two nights, she has less of an appetite, and she's been restless and panting (it's also been very hot and humid, but I have fans on for her). Last night she was calling a bit, and wanting to snuggle with me on and off, scratching at the floor, crawling in my drawers (she has several nesting boxes set up for her). Then during the day she seems okay, albeit uncomfortable. Should I be concerned that she is at least 65 days pregnant, and having what looks like stage 1 labour signs but no follow up? She is still not fully grown herself (~8 months old now) and her belly is huge and firm. I can feel the kittens kicking in there. I guess I am worried that the kittens will get too big for her to deliver safely. Should I just be patient and let nature take its course? I don't want to bring her into the vet unnecessarily if this will cause her more stress at this stage.

Thank you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nxm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. She went into labour this afternoon but the first kitten seemed to get stuck, so we took her into the emergency vet. She gave birth to five healthy kittens this evening. :)

nxm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is a photo of her before her delivery, as well as one of her with her kittens, and the kittens themselves.

She couldn't be a better-natured kitty. She is so sweet. Even this morning, she took some time away from the kittens to cuddle with me of her own accord.

At least the idiots who dumped her picked a good home for her. She will always be loved here (along with our other two cats).
20180905_065004.jpg
20180902_130341.jpg
20180904_203519.jpg

nxm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, she got so big! 5 kittens is a lot for a little cat (she was 6lbs when she was first dumped). So today she is panting a lot (it is still really hot and humid) and not sleeping much. She goes into the bed to feed the kittens and then lies down outside of it to relax. When she sees me she meows and meows. I am feeding her a lot. I hope this is normal for day one?

nxm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks - I am trying both of your suggestions. :) She doesn't seem to be interested in her water, so I added water to her wet food so it is soupy.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
How are things now? ...you could refrigerate her food to cool it for her. Is she seeming to be more comfortable?

nxm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She seems to be a bit more relaxed tonight. I think she is finally calming down enough to sleep a bit, and she's not panting as much. Thanks for the tip re: cooling her food. I buy the big cans of food so it's often cold, but I will try putting the new cans in there too before serving, at least until this heat wave passes!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wetting the fur somewhat helps too. Not that the fur is soaked, but swipe over with a wet cloth.
It will be as they lick themselves. The vaporizing cools down.

nxm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, I'll try that!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How are they all doing now?

Be sure to take the collar off of mom. Kittens can get stuck in it.

nxm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for asking. They're doing well. :) I weigh them every day and they are all gaining a lot of weight. She is very attentive to their needs.

The collar was just for the trip to the vet. The cats are roam naked around here. :)

nxm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hi again. The kittens will be seven weeks old tomorrow. They're doing great. Two questions:
1. They're mostly weaned off but they do occasionally get a bit of milk from her, though she doesn't have much to give anymore (she's a small cat and the kittens are an average of 2lbs). We have her and the kittens isolated from my other cats when we're not home, because she doesn't like one of my other cats (a problem we are working on). She seems keen to get out of the room a lot and get away from her very rambunctious kittens. Should we be gradually separating her and her kittens, so that they're eventually in different rooms?
2. She had bad diarrhea a few weeks ago so we took her to the vet and got her some fluids / antibiotics and the vet had us give her medicine that's given to human babies for gas / colic. She was really lethargic at the time and she had a fever. Her loose stools and gas are back but she seems normal otherwise. Is it common for cats who are eating a lot and nursing to have digestive problems? She is eating wet kitten food because she's fussy about dry food, though I did manage to get her to eat some.

Thank you. :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! I would double check with your vet on both questions. If she's still nursing them you could let nature take its course which is to say she'll make the decision for them, ----unless the vet says to do it now due to her not feeling well.
If she doesn't want dry food, I wouldn't force that.
Let us know what the vet says :)

nxm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. We took her to the vet and he put her on probiotics for her diarrhea, and said to take our cues from her on when she wants to wean them fully.