Pregnant cat diarrhea/Now about to give Birth

Auroraaaaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. My pregnant cat is at her last week of pregnancy, her behaviour is normal. She’s affectionate, playful and she eats well. Yesterday, for the first time, she had puddling like yellow diarrhoea that smelled foul. There was no change in behaviour but I’ve been worried about her unusual soft stool. All help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yellow, foul-smelling stool is generally indicative of a parasite infection called Coccidia. However, since your cat is nearing the end of her pregnancy, it is not unusual for cats to have diarrhea at this stage. I’ve not heard of it being yellow and so foul smelling though. It’s usually brown.

Has your cat’s diet changed in any way recently? What does she eat and drink daily? Has she been outside at all where she might be exposed to parasites?

If she has picked up a parasite infection, she will need to be treated as it can pass to the kittens.

Please let us know if the soft, yellow stool continues.

Auroraaaaa Auroraaaaa

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree with above. Hopefully OK, but may be some parasite...

Anyway, if the diarrhea is more than occasional, she will need more salts... Add perhaps flavorless pedialyte to her drinking water. Or give her a good minerale water to drink (let the gas out)

Or even simply, sprinkle a little salt on her food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Auroraaaaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats due date is tomorrow and we’ve prepared as well as we could. Does anyone have any extra, helpful tips for when she goes into labour?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cats due date is tomorrow and we’ve prepared as well as we could. Does anyone have any extra, helpful tips for when she goes into labour?
Soon. diarrhea is quite common day or two before delivery.... its mother Natures way to clean off the bowels, so she wont shit that much during the self delivery.

so, its just to wait and see. Anytime now, essentially.

Auroraaaaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:yeah: Keep us posted!
she gave birth to five kittens!! They all seem to be healthy, I’m just worried about the little kitten by her foot. It’s the runt of the litter and it doesn’t always get to the mother quick, I’ve seen it drink milk but I’m still concerned about it. Any advice?

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you might supplement the runt 2-4 times a day for now with kitten formula and a syringe. Powdered PetAg KMR in the can is found at Walmart. Order Miracle Nipples also.

Use this video to help:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Make sure the runt stays warm and put it to a nipple while the others are sleeping. Weigh all the kittens every day. They should gain 6-10 grams per day or more. Keep a log.

Also, give mom a dish or two a day of kitten formula to drink for the extra calcium she needs for nursing 5 kittens.

Auroraaaaa Auroraaaaa

Auroraaaaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. Does anyone have advice on how to take care of the runt of the
Yes, you might supplement the runt 2-4 times a day for now with kitten formula and a syringe. Powdered PetAg KMR in the can is found at Walmart. Order Miracle Nipples also.

Use this video to help:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Make sure the runt stays warm and put it to a nipple while the others are sleeping. Weigh all the kittens every day. They should gain 6-10 grams per day or more. Keep a log.

Also, give mom a dish or two a day of kitten formula to drink for the extra calcium she needs for nursing 5 kittens.

Auroraaaaa Auroraaaaa
Thank you for the advice!! The runt has drank quite a bit of Aurora’s mil today and she’s keeping it close and warm so I haven’t intervened. As for weighing, do I wear rubber gloves to handle the kittens as I don’t want Aurora to reject them after I handle them. Your advice is much appreciated.

Auroraaaaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. One of aurora’s kittens died. I’m not sure why because it was doing fine yesterday and this morning. He was warm, feeding well and sleeping well as well. But when we checked on him, he was cold and had stopped breathing. Is it normal for one to pass away in a litter of five? Aurora is quite young at around 8 months. She’s a first time mother. Will it happen to the other kittens as well. It’s so heartbreaking. It really is. Anyways, thank you for all the help.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m so sorry! Sudden death is unusual in newborn kittens unless they are sick. It does not sound like this was the case. It’s truly difficult to know what transpired. Hopefully it will not happen again.

Are you weighing the kittens?