Pregnant cat can't (won't?) clean herself

the_cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a pregnant cat who was around 6 months old when she got pregnant (first heat). Don't know the exact date but I am guessing early to mid April which makes her more than 50 days pregnant. She has been having diarrhea the past few days but today she was unable to clean her backside. Or at least, I thought so. I cleaned her to the best of my ability using wet wipes and her shampoo, but didn't want to stress her so let her be after a while. While cleaning her I noticed there was blood in the stool and possibly bloody discharge, which has increased. I also noticed she has started cleaning herself all the way in the back which I thought she was too big to do. Well, apparently not.

I did an online due date calculator and it said she is due from June 4 - June 13, possibly. Is it possible she is going into labor? She's been trying to nest for the past few days, but she still hasn't found her "spot". I made her a nesting box which she has jumped into on occasion to smell but otherwise doesn't seem to like. Her appetite hasn't decreased. Her stomach has gotten exponentially larger in the past few days though and I think it has "dropped". She is a small cat anyway. Is it possible she is going into labor?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she has a discharge she may very well be going into labor. The kittens may have dropped, which is why she is able now to clean all the way in the back. 6 months is very young to be pregnant, she may have trouble during birthing. Please be prepared to help her or take her to the vet if need be.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Any progress? How much red blood is there? If she is having more than a few drops of bright red blood coming out she needs to see the vet ASAP.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

the_cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any progress? How much red blood is there? If she is having more than a few drops of bright red blood coming out she needs to see the vet ASAP.
No more blood, like I mentioned her butt area seemed kind of inflamed (not her vagina/vulva). I am wondering if it’s just due to her diarrhea? She has been pooping a lot as well.

She’s been lying around a lot during her pregnancy but especially today. And her stomach definitely seems like it’s dropped. She is a tiny cat like I mentioned before so that is the most worrying thing to me. Thank you all for the help, I will keep you updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

the_cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, just want to update: she had her kittens yesterday! There are 5 in total and all seem to be in good health. :) Thank you to everyone for the help. :redheartpump: