Pregnant Cat But No Sign Of Labor

Malrom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We found a very young cat and brought her home. The day she was to be fixed vet said she was pregnant and so now here we are. I checked her temperature and it has been 37.2 for three days now. Very restless, meows a lot, but still eats and plays. Her stomach is huge and her nipples do not show milk but it's like a bit flaky. How do I know when she'll give birth as it's been almost two months since she was with us and still no sign of labor.

Savanah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats are usually pregnant for 60-70 days, but they can go a little over that and still be fine, so really you’re just playing a waiting game!

Speaking from personal experience, my cat ate up until the hour she had her babies, and I know that some even eat inbetween kittens. So if she’s eating still, that may not mean she isn’t in early labor.

A good rule of thumb I’ve heard is if you’ve been able to feel the babies moving for two weeks then you’re really close. I suggest watching for discharge on her vulva, it may be hard to catch because the queen will lick it away, but if you keep a close eye you should be able to see it. That’s a really good sign that she’s close. Sudden changes in her mood will be common too.

Now I’m not a vet or even a mod, that’s just stuff I’ve heard. Hope it helps! :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any day now! As long as she is calm and taking care of kittens between births, everything is OK, if she is extremely restless and upset after, she may be having problems. She is young, so may be a little confused as to what to do, please be nearby to help her, wipe off membranes from kittens noses and mouths as soon as possible if she doesn't. Stimulate them by rubbing with a towel. Most likely she will be fine, instinct is very powerful!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you been able to stock up on kitten supplies yet? You'll need nest options for mom in quiet, dark rooms. Also, powdered kitten milk replacer and small needleless syringes, in case any of the kittens need to be supplemented. A scale that weighs in grams is essential to keep track that all babies are thriving. You may also want a heating pad to put on low under half of the nest.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Malrom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your replies. Everything is its places but today still no sign of the babies. Fingers crossed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Malrom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Now she has what seems to be whitish discharge but it has no smell. Looks very uncomfortable but still no sign of the babies. Would that be her mucous plug?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The mucus plug usually has a green or yellowish color, but heavily pregnant cats do have lots of discharge. No odor is a good sign.