Pregnant cat bleeding a lot but no kitten 😢

Worriedcatlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I made account just for asking this. My pregnant cat bleeding a fresh red blood a lot for more than 10 hours, but there's no kitten at all. I know she probably has miscarriage but I wonder why there's no baby, I'm scared the dead baby stuck and the mother still in pain😢. I really wish I can immediately bring her to vet but sadly my financial situation isn't really good right now, lost my job since pandemic began. Now she stopped bleeding but very lethargic, doesn't want to eat and drink. Anyone have similar experience? Thanks before.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Worriedcatlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update, just now after 5 hours she stopped bleeding, she starts bleeding again 😢 and doesn't want to be near me, she's hiding under my bed.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How far along is she? Was it time for labor?

A pregnant cat bleeding large amounts of bright red blood and acting this way is usually a medical emergency. She may be hemorrhaging and this is very dangerous. You need to get her to a vet right away and ask for a payment plan. She needs medical intervention!

Please get help and update us ASAP!

W Worriedcatlover

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have to, just rush her to the vet and I seriously doubt they will turn you away in this circumstance. Let them work on her and figure the rest out later. If need be, offer to work for them until it is paid or anything necessary to help her. I have rushed into a packed waiting room and gotten help before. It’s hard to ignore an emergency, especially with other people watching. I find most vets do care. Please get her to a vet somewhere.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Worriedcatlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies, thank you for worrying about my cat! I took her to the vet and fortunately she's okay! At least for now.
Scan and blood test results show that she doesn't have infection and all of her 5 babies are alive though 2 of them are very weak. Since she's so active, the vet said she was probably bleeding cause her belly got hit when she was jumping around.
She is still at 3 weeks so as for now the vet told me to observe her, give her vitamins and force feeding her if she still doesn't want to eat and just after we got back home, she's immediately eating and drinking, she's getting better and now normal again ❤ Hopefully she can stay healthy and give birth to healthy babies, though I will definitely spay her after this pregnancy. Feel so guilty I didn't spay her sooner, she's 7 years old 😭

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear kitty is doing well. Don't forget that pregnancy will deplete her supplies of calcium since she's making little kitten bones right now. Also, calcium is needed for muscular contractions, which she will definitely have when it's time for the kittens to be born. Be sure she gets some calcium supplement like KMR, which you probably should have anyway for possible need by the newborns.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's good news! I'm glad to hear she's doing better.

Is this her first litter? 7 is kind of old to be having kittens, so please take a look at some of our articles linked at the top of this forum to prepare yourself in case anything goes wrong.

These are worth a look.

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth – TheCatSite Articles

Post-birth Complications In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Hand Rearing Kittens: What You Need To Know To Save A Newborn’s Life – TheCatSite Articles

She will come into heat again after giving birth, so make an appointment now to get her spayed when the kittens are 4 to 6 weeks old. Even indoor only cats that have very little chance of meeting a tom should be spayed. Every time she goes through a heat cycle it increases her chances of getting mammary cancer or pyometra, both of which could be fatal.

And as V vince said, get some KMR now so you can feed her up and be ready in case any kittens need supplement feeding.

Good luck and please let us see some pictures of the kittens when they arrive.

:goodluck: