Pregnant cat, 10% excitement, 90% major stress

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aqua

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Temp has dropped and she didn't eat much dinner. No other signs.. it's 7pm where I am, I'll be going to bed as usual in a couple of hours, but I'll limit where she can go in the house so I can hear her if things happen overnight. As nice as it would be for them to come overnight, I'm not really expecting anything to happen until later 2moro, if then.

Aqua

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
2 babies born, she has 1 or 2 more to come. She purred the whole time, allows me to assist when needed - couldn't help myself, I lifted her leg to make more room in her pelvis, and she started pushing her leg against my hand, and out came the 1st baby. 20 mins later, 2nd one born. Been 3 hours since, all is OK. Have spoken to the vet who said things are OK as they are for now

Attachments

Aqua

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update. She needed an emergency c section for her last 2 babies, she kept losing blood, and contractions hadn't started again. The vet did an ultrasound, saw one kitten barely moving amf their heart rate crashing. It took an hour before I heard all was OK.

8 days later ONE KITTEN ISNT GAINING WEIGHT . She's gained just 6g in the past 48 hours. I tried giving her kitten formula via bottle, but she wouldn't take it. She was very active in.her refusal, so def not lethargic. Just don't know what to do. I'll phone the vet when they open, but any suggestions??? Weight gain up until them has been really good, over 15g a day.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s okay if the gains are less some days than others as long as they are not losing. Like human babies, they eat, gain, and can plateau here and there and maintain, then comes a new growth spurt and insatiable hunger. Since she’s not lethargic she sounds fine — just wasn’t overly hungry that day. This does not require a vet call.

How’s mama recovering? Was she spayed during the surgery?

Aqua

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mum is recovering fine, no issues, minor skin infection that was treated with diluted chlohexidine as advised by my vet.

I did take the kitty to be seen and get advice (before your reply). Plan is to give some top ups BUT she won't take the bottle, won't take a syringe, won't take the special teat that sticks to a syringe, and won't suck from my finger. I'm the end I've giving a snall amount of kitten formula through a feeding tube (that isn't in her stomach) - when she's suckingbon mum, I slip the thin feeding tube in her mouth, and then use the syringe attached to it, to push drops down into the tube, which she gets as she swallows. It takes abput an hour to get some in.that way, but it's the only thing that's worked.

Her weight this morning was up 9g. Maybe coincidence, as I really only ot maybe 0.5 - to 1ml max, of formula into her.

but from what you're saying, if ive hot thos right - is that even a tiny amount of weight gain in a few days is ok? No matter how little she gains, i only need to worry if its a weight loss? Cos i like that idea far better. Trying to give her top ups is a nightmare. I just don't want her to become too lethargic to feed, which is why I was worried and took her to the vet.