Pregnant 11 M/o

pandataco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I guess I'll be adding to the influx of pregnant mother posts.

Towards the end of May we noticed my cat, Kirlia was gaining weight vey rapidly. This discovery later led us to the realization that she was pregnant. Over the past month, Kirlia's belly has grown to be very prominant, she has licked away all the fur from her nipples, she has become more needy, she eats over three times a day, and I can now clearly see the kittens moving inside of her. Do any of those characteristics give you an idea as to how far along she may be?

I also need advice for her nesting area. For now, I have a large dog kennel ( I had a lab once )
with a plastic pan on the bottom, a sleeping bag for comfort, and I have it in a very quiet corner of the house away from all air conditioning, covered with a blanket to make it a little warmer and darker. The kennel is only a foot or two away from the food bowl, and a few more away from her litter box. Are there any adjustments that I should make for this arrangement? I've caught her exploring it twice now, but worry because she has seemed much more interested in going under the porch. How could I influence her to use the kennel to nest in? Would it be inhumane to shut her in there every now and then to give her the idea?

I need advice for the kittens themselves too. What are some things I should keep on hand for delivery? Are there things I should watch out for in the babies as far as sickness goes? Would a normal scale used to weigh packages work for weighing kittens as well? Any other type advice is also appreciated!

I already have arrangements to get my younger cat spayed in July, how soon could I take Kirlia in after the kittens are born? At what age can the kittens be spayed/neutered?

Lastly, if Kirlia has these kittens soon, how soon could I introduce two orphans to her? At the animal shelter I work with we had someone drop off 7 newborn kittens, 5 of which didn't make it. If Kirlia has her babies soon enough, we'd like to see if she'd take these orphans. Any tips or idea for this kinda thing is greatly appreciated!!!​

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The last first. Its a good idea to help orphans in this way. But be sure they are healthy, so for example, their mom didnt died of some unpleasant disease... You dont want get a contagion into your own cats.
In unsure cases most rescuers do handraise the orphans, even if they have access to a perfectly good and willing foster mom or foster dad.

A mom will usually accept fosterlings without big fuss. If you wish, you can swape scent, smear the new fosterlings with scents from the biological kittens, but its probably not necessary.
So you can do it soon, but after the momma has rested some from the delivery.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom needs to stay 100% inside until the kittens are weaned and she has been spayed. Don't let her under the porch.

How old is your younger cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pandataco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I realize it's been a while since my last post on this. As of yesterday, the kittens were born three weeks ago. Three little black babies! My cat ended up giving birth to four kittens in my sister's closet while I was away on vacation. When I got home, I found one stillborn hidden under some clothes. Aside from that unfortunate event, all three of the surviving kitten are gaining the expected 10 grams a week, plus more! Their eyes and ears were open before the end of the first week! Very healthy, happy babies and a wonderful mother cat. They were born June 24th.

As these kittens have been beginning to grow, wander a little more, and play, I'm wondering when Mama cat can be spayed? She's about a year old now, kittens are going into their fourth week of life. Would it be wise to wait on each of her (three kittens and all females, god forbid we have a male cat in this house, lol) kittens to take her in so they can be spayed as well before we deliver them to their new homes? If not, what's the earliest she can be spayed? I already have a kitten who is about 3-4 months old who has an appointment this week to see if she's ready. As much as I love these new little family members, I just want to prevent this from happening again. As, when my cats are having kittens, it's too much for me to continue to foster if that makes sense. Plus, it's kinda hypocritical to advocate spaying and neuturing if I don't do it myself! :) Thanks guys! I will be posting pictures soon!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens are spayed and neutered at 8 weeks/2 pounds, so the 3-4 month old kitten is ready.

Moms are spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old. However, she may go into heat before then, so be sure not to let her outside at all.

Kittens should stay with their mom until they are 10-12 weeks old for maximum teaching of kitten manners.

Fixing them before re-homing is always preferred, or the cycle will continue.

It's good you are thinking about all of this! :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They should gain 10 grams a day, not week ;). I'm sure that's what you meant, just clarifying for newbies.

Usually mama cats can be spayed when the kittens are 8-9 weeks old (well, they CAN be spayed at any time but that's what is considered best for the babies). Your vet may have some other preference so ask him/her. Kittens CAN be spayed at 8 weeks/2 pounds, but, again, your vet may have different preferences.

Don't let the mama cat out until after she's spayed because she can get pregnant at any time. Also make sure the 4-month-old doesn't get out. Most cats don't go into heat until at least 5 months but occasionally one is an early bloomer and female cats have gotten pregnant as young as 14 weeks.