Pregant Rescue Cat

LaurenT4566

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, our rescue had a lady surrender a cat that she claimed was pregnant. She said she thought this because she could feel the kittens moving. So, we thought well then she is due soon! We immediately took her to the vet and we aren't sure she is even pregnant. The vet actually thinks she is spayed because of the "fat pads" towards the back of her stomach. This isn't our normal vet and I'm not sure I agree with her. She said she cannot feel kittens at all, which would be a good thing! I just don't know if the "fat pads" necessarily means she's spayed so I'm questioning the whole thing now. They aren't even very big "fat pads" they don't hang like I've seen in some of our past rescues. I know there are some breeders here on the site and I'm wondering if your unfixed cats sometimes have these fatty spots? She's a fat cat with it being more of a "hard" fat right past her ribs and a more flubbery fat towards the back lets. I would appreciate any input. This vet wants to wait until the end of month, do an xray and then go from there. Our normal vet is on vacation for 2 weeks.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have had 3 cats surrendered to the rescue I volunteer with who they claimed they were pregnant. Turned out they were just fat, and one even turned out to be a male *face plam.. and the vet didn't confirm gender either lol*. Unfixed cats can get fat if they overeat, and all cats have a primordial pouch, fixed or unfixed. Do you have any pics? The only way really to tell if a cat is spayed is to open her up, for the most part, sometimes some vets can see an incision but not usually.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
An x-ray or ultrasound would show if there is a pregnancy. It would also show if she still even has a uterus or is already spayed. :)

Let us know what the answer is.