Prednisolone-When to Discontinue Use

juless804

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been diagnosed with Inflammatory Bowel Disease, and has been on Prednisolone and Famotodine since December, 2020. I would like to decrease his Prednisolone, as I heard it damages the liver. What is the proper dosage to slowly discontinue use? He is on a high protein diet, as well.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Each cat is different. I have had cats on prednisolone for a couple of years. They had cancer though. The best thing to do is to contact the vet that prescribed it and ask if and how you can step it down.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You'll need to ask the vet about decreasing the pred with the intention of stopping it. The vet will determine if your cat is ready for a slow decrease based on symptoms.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our cat is presently on Prednisolone for a Pancreatitis flare-up. The vet gave me exact directions for lowering the dosage and weaning him off. Therefore, I agree with the above two members to contact your vet since there are specific guidelines to decrease the dosage. I also agree every cat is an individual and you should discuss the side effects regarding your concern about liver damage with the vet. Fingers crossed your kitty's IBD improves with treatment. :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juless804

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you - we have an appointment on Saturday.

juless804

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much!
Each cat is different. I have had cats on prednisolone for a couple of years. They had cancer though. The best thing to do is to contact the vet that prescribed it and ask if and how you can step it down.

juless804

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Glad you will be able to see the vet. Please keep us updated, best of luck!
Thank you. He has been seeing my vet on a regular basis. Also getting shots of B-12.