Potential toxoplasmosis, very sick cat with balance issues.

Jeffpdx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The symptoms - Very poor balance, back legs seem to not work well. Stairs are a danger. Eating is difficult to physically do, it seems like the cat is struggling to chew. Ears flicking when eating. Some head shaking and very vivid dreams that jolt the cat into the air when sleeping.

Our 8 year old cat has had 3 successive rounds of terrible balance/lethargy/near coma/ no appetite with slow recovery and about 10 days of nearly normal in between. We thought she might pass away and the vet didn't seem hopeful but gave us antibiotics for toxoplasmosis and a steroid shot the past two rounds. We were prescribed Mirataz for appetite which has helped. We also gave her sub q fluids and she pulled thru. We are now doubling up on the antiobiotics to a very high dose. She is asleep nearly 20 hours a day and when she awakes to eat she really struggles eating, she like plows her face in the food to eat. I clean her face up after each meal.

Has anyone experienced this? I love my cat and want her to get better. Jeff.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

It wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion from another vet. Or ask your vet to consult with a veterinary school fore more ideas on how to treat the disease.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jeffpdx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks LTS3 I am working on getting a second opinion. I was hoping someone had a cat with these symptoms that had gotten thru them.