Potential Labour?

Ksblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, my 3 year old cat Bueno is showing signs of labour, but we have no idea if she is in fact pregnant. She showed no previous signs apart from weight gain over the past month or so. Yesterday (around 24 hours ago) she suddenly had discharge that was clear and then slightly tinged with blood. She started panting and I immediately called the vets. From their speculation, they said labour could the cause as she has many symptoms. Shes been acting normal and happy, but unusually affectionate and also has been clawing at the carpet as if shes trying to hide or something. She not an outdoor cat, but we do have a kitten of 9 months that we have yet to spay. I did find him biting her by the neck just before her symptoms occured, but since shes such a large cat he couldnt have reached her vulva (I presume). Vet said there is no concern unless she acts like shes in pain or there is no improvement. Any suggestions?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you have an unneutered male, you may be sure that he is capable of getting the job done, even with the difference in heights. She'd have been a most willing and accomodating participant, after all. Having seen a Great Dane lie down on her side for a Jack Russell terrier (and GOD those were cute, if odd, pups!), and a miniature jackass stand on the edge of a water trough for a thoroughbred mare, I don't put anything out of the realm of possibility!

Read those articles, make sure she has a nesting box, just in case, and watch things. AND let us know what happens!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ksblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you have an unneutered male, you may be sure that he is capable of getting the job done, even with the difference in heights. She'd have been a most willing and accomodating participant, after all. Having seen a Great Dane lie down on her side for a Jack Russell terrier (and GOD those were cute, if odd, pups!), and a miniature jackass stand on the edge of a water trough for a thoroughbred mare, I don't put anything out of the realm of possibility!

Read those articles, make sure she has a nesting box, just in case, and watch things. AND let us know what happens!
Yes I totally agree! You never know. They must have been so cute though! I just got home and checked on her and shes started labour! Shes currently having kitten #1 feet first. Not very experienced whether thats okay or not? Just hoping they're healthy

Ksblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Sarthur2 Sarthur2 unfortunately the breech kitten was stillborn... it appears to be smaller than previous litters we have had with our other cat, so my only assumption is that it may have passed away in the womb prior to birth. Called the vets to make sure we were doing the right thing and theres nothing that can be done! :( hopefully if she has more kittens they will be okay. Will keep it updated!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Was she able to deliver the breech kitten without too much trouble? Often breech kittens are stillborn because they suffocate in the birth canal due to extended labor. They can be difficult to deliver and die waiting in the birth canal.

Ksblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Was she able to deliver the breech kitten without too much trouble? Often breech kittens are stillborn because they suffocate in the birth canal due to extended labor. They can be difficult to deliver and die waiting in the birth canal.
She didnt seem to struggle more than the normal amount to be honest. We thought that's why it was stillborn but it looks like not everything was formed yet :( rather small as well. Just monitoring to see if she has any more

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would you like help finding a low cost spay/neuter clinic in your area? Your male will need to be kept 100% separate from your female until he is fixed.

Ksblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Would you like help finding a low cost spay/neuter clinic in your area? Your male will need to be kept 100% separate from your female until he is fixed.
Thank you, we have a low cost vet already, but if you know any then please do. We made an appointment to get the female spayed, but we literally found out she was pregnant during labour. We are keeping him away as of now since hes being awfully naughty

Ksblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If anyone is still wondering, she ended up giving birth AGAIN 4 days later to another kitten!!! Both stillborn and it turns out age began eating them. Apparently very common among cats, but after the advice from the vet we were told to just dispose of the kitten and make sure she was okay. She seemed better than ever with no signs of labour. After the second followed up labour, she had to be rushed into surgery as it was now life threatening. We never saw the other kitten, but were told it was still born and she also tried to eat it...
Anyway, she had a c-section along with spaying and shes healing very well! Despite everything, it turned out well. A reminder of one of the many reasons animals need to be spayed!!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, indeed. I am sorry you lost the kittens, but nature has a way of making sure that only those who can survive come to birth alive, or at all. And she is spayed now, and will be a far happier cat going forward. My best to you both!