Potatoes and DCM

woofadu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I am wondering if any recent research has proven or disproven potatoes in the link between them and DCM in dogs/cats. I read the initial findings that showed 28% of the food in the study contained potatoes/sweet potatoes, while 90+% contained peas/legumes as the top ingredients.

Page 23: https://ksvdl.org/resources/documents/dcm-forum/FDA_KSU-Science-Forum-slides_09-29-2020.pdf

This shows a strong correlation between DCM and peas/legumes as prominent ingredients in the food and a much weaker correlation between DCM and potatoes/sweet potatoes in the food. Also, sweet potatoes aren't even related to what we call regular potatoes, so I'm not sure if there is any basis for the grouping of the two other than the names.

Does anyone know if any additional research has been conducted or if there have been any additional statements or opinions made on the issue? All my searching has led me to coverage of the initial report/findings.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
FWIW, these are articles I found with dates more recent than the one you provided above, although I am not sure exactly how much data in them is more up to date. And, sadly, but as usual, much of the information seems to focus more on dogs.
Diet-Associated DCM: Research Update – Clinical Nutrition Service at Cummings School (tufts.edu)
FDA Investigation into Potential Link between Certain Diets and Canine Dilated Cardiomyopathy | FDA
Questions & Answers: FDA’s Work on Potential Causes of Non-Hereditary DCM in Dogs | FDA

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

woofadu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
FWIW, these are articles I found with dates more recent than the one you provided above, although I am not sure exactly how much data in them is more up to date. And, sadly, but as usual, much of the information seems to focus more on dogs.
Diet-Associated DCM: Research Update – Clinical Nutrition Service at Cummings School (tufts.edu)
FDA Investigation into Potential Link between Certain Diets and Canine Dilated Cardiomyopathy | FDA
Questions & Answers: FDA’s Work on Potential Causes of Non-Hereditary DCM in Dogs | FDA
Thank you for these links. I hadn't seen the Tuft's link yet. That was a good summary it seems. Still frustrating that there doesn't seem to be a conclusion for the specific cause though.