TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Adorable!!!! Thanks for posting!

katarack21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! You're cat is also adorable--I *love* the way his mask came in.

The pointed color pattern is my personal favorite on cats; I think it's really cool looking, and the temperature-based partial albinism is a really cool genetic quirk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Katarack21, I'm a bit uneducated on the temp thing. My cat has darker spots (over his itherwuse white chest n belly) where his heart and thyroid would be. Are the browner where the skin is warmer, then?

Your cat has a big fluffy belly. Love it!!! And he is HUGE for his age. Love the pointed tabby coat!!

katarack21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, his fur is browner where it's warmer!

Basicallly, on pointed cat's they are born with an enzyme that is a slightly different shape than normal. This alternate shape causes the enzyme to not function at a temperature where it normally would--normal cat body temperature. This enzyme is responsible for activating pigment; no enzyme, no pigment. It doesn't function at normal cat body temperature, but it does function at just a degree or two under. When born, pointed cats are all-white because of the even temperature of the womb. After birth, however, their extremities--limbs, tails, face, and sometimes down the spine--change color because in these cooler spots the pigment is being activated. Even where activated, however, it tends to be a shade or two lighter that it should because of the enzyme not being fully functional like an unaltered enzyme. Pointed cats have blue eyes because they are lacking pigment in their eyes; they often show an unusual red eye shine at night, because of this.

My kitty, Viserion, is actually genetically a dark chocolate  tabby like his momma, but with that partial albinism he comes out a Lynx point. Him and his sister are both very large for their age; their big brother, Stormy, is even bigger than they are and already almost as big as the old tomcat in the house! The person we got their momma from said she was a Maine Coon/Siamese mix. I'm starting to believe it.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
 I've got two pointed cats, Albert and Sophie.

They were almost white when they were little, but they are much darker now.

Here they are at 4 months old, when I was still trying to convince them to come and live with me.

Here they are at 18 months old, part of the family.

Sophie looks like a little raccoon.

Albert takes after his Dad.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh how pretty!!!!! Love the nose and tabby points!! [emoji]128525[/emoji][emoji]128525[/emoji]

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Norachan  I used to feed a tortie-point at one of the park colonies when I lived in Okinawa that looked a lot like Sophie, except she had a bobtail.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

@Norachan  I used to feed a tortie-point at one of the park colonies when I lived in Okinawa that looked a lot like Sophie, except she had a bobtail.
Oh, she must have been cute!

Sophie has a short, bent tail. Most of my cats have the bob-tail gene, long, straight tails are very rare around here.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️!!!!!!!

Oh my!!! What gorgeous points out there!!!