Post Urinary Obstruction After Care Questions.

Saidaziz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat Wobble was hospitalized for 3 nights due to a full blockage of his urethra. He was discharged yesterday afternoon after the doctor said everything was fine, and that he was peeing on his own.

Since I brought him home, I've fed him his prescribed hills science c/d canned wet food diet with an extra couple of teaspoons of water for extra moisture.

Since I've brought him back, I've noticed that Wobble is almost constantly going from one littler box to the other and straining to pee. I do notice small amounts of urine, but I found it concerning he would be in there for a couple minutes at a time to produce a small amount.

After almost every time he is in the litter box, he licks his private parts (as he did before he blockage).

I called the vet and they said it's normal for him to frequently attempt to urinate as long as some urine comes out and to lick himself for the first few days , but in still super anxious and don't want him blocked again.

Just looking for some words of encouragement, advice, or insight from fellow cat owners who have dealt with this problem before because this is my first.

Thank you

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m assuming that for some of the three days he was catheterized. That can cause a sense of urgency for a few days. Also, if he had been blocked he may be hesitant to start a flow of urine since it hurt him. I would take it as a good sign that he is peeing and he is not avoiding the litter box. Keep in touch with your vet of course.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Saidaziz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes he had a catheter for 2 out of the 3 days. Earlier he did urinate a bit on the couch. The vet did warn me he might urinate outside the box.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cat had a bout of cystitis (complete blockage), needing to be catheterized for 5 days. Not only did he only pee in small puddles for several weeks, he was also incontinent. He was on anti-inflammatory, anti-spasm, antibiotic and relaxant medications. It can take a while for the urethra to return to normal after being catheterized.
It took over a month before he had full control of his urination. Now, our cat was in rough shape, and was on heavy meds, so it may not take Wobble as long to recover, but the fact that he is still using the litter box and pee is coming out is a good thing.
Just keep an eye out that pee continues, and if you notice that the size of the pee gets bigger or at least stays the same size, you should be good.
When we first brought Chewie home the sizes of his pee were 1 to 1 1/2 inches in diameter then it stayed closer to 1 1/2 inches. After about 2-3 weeks, the size started to grow closer to sometimes 2 inches. When the month was over, he stayed pretty consistently at 2 and sometimes 2 1/2 inches.
Peeing outside of the litter box also happened, not only can a cat experience incontinence but sometime the sense of urgency takes over getting to the box in time.
Did the vet mention what caused the blockage to begin with?