Post-op nightmare

Makkka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was neutered 4 days ago. We already went for antibiotics to the vet but the wound doesn’t seem to heal. I had to get an e collar although the vet said it was unnecessary. At this point I don’t trust this vet. Is my cat’s wound infected after neutering ?

Attachments

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I truly wish vets would explain surgical procedures to people.

Cat neuters are done, by cutting either one or two small incisions on the scrotum, which is the testicles housing ( so to speak ). Then each testicle is pulled out through the incisions and separated from the adjoining tissue. The testicles are attached to the body by cords that are very vascular. Each cord is either tied in several knots, or tied off with sutures. Then the testicles are removed and the cords go back up inside the scrotum. There are no sutures placed in the scrotum and it heals as an open wound.

On your cat, it looks like someone went a bit overboard with the shaving of the area and without understanding that they left hair on the prepuce, so there is no point in shaving around it. But that was probably an over zealous assistant. You don’t want the prepuce shaved because it can irritate the skin and you can cut them.

A neuter is considered a “dirty” surgery, meaning it is not done under sterile conditions in an operating room.

I am not a vet, but the surgery itself looks fine. The skin surrounding it that was shaved looks irritated to me. I would just leave it alone for now and the skin will most likely heal just fine.

makomama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I dont see any obvious signs of infection. The above post is accurate about the surgery protocol. It is a good call to have him in an ecollar though and to monitor that he isnt licking at the incision area as that can cause issues and keep it open longer. Once youre sure the incision area is closed, he can be out of the collar, but keep an eye on him as cat's tongues have the ability to reopen a wound with excessive licking. Keep in mind it may still appear as if his testicles are still there for a little while due to natural swelling.
The shaving they did was out of place and excessive due to the surgery.
If you do not have good feelings about your vet, there is no harm in searching around and doing some research for other vets. Your relationship with your vet should feel comfortable and trusting as a good human doctor would be.