Possibly pregnant cat

pancakesbb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I've been told I could get help in here. So, let's cut to the case.

Recently, my female cat of only 10 months had her first heat 9 days ago. We've been inyecting her with a contraceptive 6 months ago to retain her heat, and due to not having enough money we couldn't sterilize her. So, on February 26 my cat showed symptoms of her heat coming back, just that this time it appeared to came at full blast. She couldn't control herself and male cats gathered around our house in seek to mate with her. We called our veterinary to inject her with contraceptives once again (I know its wrong since it affects them but this is the last time before I sterilize her. The price is pretty high up over here...). Because of work, I left my cat to play in our yard, when I came around night at 9-8, a cat was perched with my cat atop a wall. I quickly scared the other cat and grabbed mine, and it's then that I feel something slick wet my arm. Which I suppose is the other cats semen or per say. What I want to know (if anyone has injected their cat with contraceptives) is if she can still get pregnant. I read on a webpage and it said it took about 2 days to make effect, and I'm a bit troubled and confused over here.

I hope anyone knows about this. Thanks to however took their time to read it :)

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest getting her spayed asap. The sooner she gets spayed the better and if she is pregnant it won't be as expensive to spay her as it can be when she's closer to term. Call around to the vet clinics to find out prices as everyone can be different. You can also contact rescues to see if they have a SNR program, and the spca as well. Google low-cost vet clinic near me and see what comes up. :)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read your post but unfortunately have not even heard of a contraceptive shot. I do know that cats ovulate after they mate so another shot may work - definitely ask the vet. That said, a spay-abort is still a good option, especially if done early in the term. The cat guardians who care for feral colonies often do a spay-abort, even late term, because less than 30% of the kittens survive to their first year and birthing can be especially dangerous for feral kitties who doesn't have access to good veterinary care.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pancakesbb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would suggest getting her spayed asap. The sooner she gets spayed the better and if she is pregnant it won't be as expensive to spay her as it can be when she's closer to term. Call around to the vet clinics to find out prices as everyone can be different. You can also contact rescues to see if they have a SNR program, and the spca as well. Google low-cost vet clinic near me and see what comes up. :)
Oh, I suppose I could do that, as long as she doesn't get hurt by it there's no problem, I'm just curious about one thing though... do you think she might've ended up pregnant, it's day 10 now, should I be cautious for any pregnant signs?

pancakesbb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I read your post but unfortunately have not even heard of a contraceptive shot. I do know that cats ovulate after they mate so another shot may work - definitely ask the vet. That said, a spay-abort is still a good option, especially if done early in the term. The cat guardians who care for feral colonies often do a spay-abort, even late term, because less than 30% of the kittens survive to their first year and birthing can be especially dangerous for feral kitties who doesn't have access to good veterinary care.
Thankf for the help :) Oh, in here it's pretty common to inject your cat with does. Are you perhaps saying she might get pregnant even with the shot given or should I observe her carefully? I do know she has been eating much more then before, and sleeps quite frequently. I suppose a spay-abort could help, I'm thinking of taking her to the vet for a check-up.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don’t know if a cat contraceptive works after mating or not. A vet should know the answer, but rather than wait to find out, I suggest getting her spayed ASAP and put an end to this entire issue.

Where do you live?

pancakesbb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don’t know if a cat contraceptive works after mating or not. A vet should know the answer, but rather than wait to find out, I suggest getting her spayed ASAP and put an end to this entire issue.

Where do you live?
I live in Honduras, I know, not the best place to live, but the prices over here are pretty high. Thus, I haven't got the time or money to get her spayed. Indeed, I'll take my cat to the vet today, I'll inform you of what the vet has to say :)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's good to see that you love your cats very much. Taking herto the vet is a smart decision. If she mated 10 days ago, she might be less than 8 days pregnant and probably won't show signs yet. I look forward to reading your report on the vet visit! :cheerleader:

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At this early on your vet wouldn't know if she's pregnant or not. I've found vets can vary in prices by alot. Here in Canada it can be anywhere from $150 to $500 in my city, that's how much the price can vary. Are there any rescues or SPCA? Sometimes they can help with offering lower-cost spays.