Possibly Pregnant Cat?

SerenaM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I just created the account because we recently brought a stray cat in, and I would like your guys advice on her. Sorry for the long post, I just want to give as much detail as possible for a better analysis and also I just want to talk about her :). We first met this cat 3 weeks ago when we moved into our new apartment. After discovering she had fleas, and almost certainly has no owner as she wouldn't leave our door, we decided to bring her in 2 weeks ago. We treated her for fleas. We have yet to go to a vet. We've been looking online if anyone close by had lost a cat that looks like her, haven't found anything yet.
She was extremely friendly, she barely asks to go outside, and even that is satiated once we open some blinds for her to look outside. (At first she asked to go outside because she didn't seem used to going in a litter box, or just didn't like the litter box we offered, once we didn't open the door she would go in it and stop begging) We are concerned that she could be pregnant, we noticed she was a little chubby when we first met her, and now we're looking at her stomach and it is protruding out on the sides a good bit. Not sure if it was like that at first. It doesn't look like she's just overweight, her legs and neck seem average cat size, she might be a tad bit on the chubby side, but barely. Her stomach is also very firm.
I am unsure, because her nipples don't seem pink or noticeable at all, although I was able to see a few of them without digging in her fur, which someone said is a good sign she's pregnant since the fur would have dropped around them.
Her appetite has been changing a little, although that could be just due to new situation and new food, when we first met her she ate everything we gave her the instant we gave it to her (she would push our hands out of the way with her head to get to the food faster :) ), and it has been like that most of the time. In the morning she always sits by our bedroom door staring at us until we wake up and start speaking, and then she starts meowing and sprints to her food bowl. Then one morning she didn't touch her food for 5-10 minutes after we put it out, although after that she ate most of it. Could have been frightened, she sometimes gets spooked by noises and doesn't have an appetite then. We started giving her dry food, and she began eating only parts of it, eating little bits throughout the day, but this morning she ate her whole bowl (about 1/2 cup), and an hour later when I was preparing to go to work she was begging for more by her bowl.
She sleeps almost all day, and when she plays she puts minimum effort into it. At first we thought this was just her personality, and that she was very old, but could it be a sign of pregnancy?
I held my hand on her stomach to try to feel for babies, and I felt little thumbs that felt kind of like heartbeats, but it couldn't have been hers since they weren't consistent. Could that be kittens?
Also, if she is pregnant, any idea how far along? We want to keep her or maybe two of the kittens if she does end up having them. (Our association allows only 2 pets, and I read a kitten and mom may not be the best option since the mom will want to get rid of her babies at some point) We have a shelter close to us that offers free spay and neuter for cats, so we'll be doing that in any case.
Also, she has this black fur right around her vagina. At first I thought that that's just how her fur is, but I'm not sure if it could be a sign of previous pregnancy or of some discharge or something. She's had it since we met her.
I'll try to get some good pictures of her stomach and nipples later, but here's a few just for the cutesies :).

P.S, We're thinking of naming her Misu.
IMG-0404.JPG
IMG-0405.JPG
IMG-0404.JPG
IMG-0405.JPG

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
I can't make a guess about pregnancy although I don't think that a mama cat always wants to get rid of her baby...
Anyway, if you can, run her in to a vet. They'll double-check for a micro-chip, any leftover fleas and any other things.
Thanks for helping this little wanderer out!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SerenaM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
I can't make a guess about pregnancy although I don't think that a mama cat always wants to get rid of her baby...
Anyway, if you can, run her in to a vet. They'll double-check for a micro-chip, any leftover fleas and any other things.
Thanks for helping this little wanderer out!!
We'll definitely be taking her to a vet soon, and they should be able to tell if she really is pregnant, I'm just really anxious and excited, and want to know. I'd really like to have some kittens run around the house, but at the same time I hope she isn't pregnant. There's just way too many cats out there. We saw another cat that had the same color fur as she does right outside our house as well. He was smaller and a lot thinner, we tried calling for him but he seemed more or less feral. Could be from a litter of hers?

SerenaM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She sounds very sweet, and possibly pregnant.

Don’t let her outside anymore at all.

Can you get her checked at the vet?
Yeah, we'll get her checked at a vet when we get the chance. We just moved into the house, so we've been kind of busy. We're not going to let her outside, the HOA doesn't allow that and I'm not huge on the idea of letting cats roam freely anyway. Just way too much that could go wrong.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Could be from a litter of hers?
...could be. Maybe he'll eventually consider you, I'll keep my fingers crossed in hopes that he does, although I realize that might run you over the allotted limit of cats. I guess it all depends on several things...

Oh, congrats on the new house - AND the new cat along with it. Your name for her sounds wonderful.

Will you be able to continue with canned food, along with kibble? I'm SO glad she found you :cloud9:

SerenaM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
...could be. Maybe he'll eventually consider you, I'll keep my fingers crossed in hopes that he does, although I realize that might run you over the allotted limit of cats. I guess it all depends on several things...

Oh, congrats on the new house - AND the new cat along with it. Your name for her sounds wonderful.

Will you be able to continue with canned food, along with kibble? I'm SO glad she found you :cloud9:
Thanks!:biggrin: We haven't seen the second cat since his initial appearance. The association also doesn't want us to feed feral cats, so getting him used to us could be more tricky. (Misu basically just walked into our house) We had her on canned food at first, but we switched her to dry, mainly because of the price. If she really is pregnant, I think we'll try to switch back to canned and offer kibble on the side. I understand you should leave kibble out to be accessible for a pregnant cat all the time, but there's a bunch of little cracks in our house and we've caught ants in her food twice already. Any tips to prevent that?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi again - try tractor supply, their 4Health and Paws and Claws isn't expensive and is decent (brick and mortar as well as online), plus if you have grocery store chains, check them for "house" brands.

For example King Soopers has Pet Pride, also Sheba and Abound and Luvsome. Walmart also has SPecial Kitty, and Pure Balance.

These are all decent foods that I think/hope won't break the bank for you. In addition, most of these brands have kibble but possible check into Dr Elseys cleanprotein dry food.

SerenaM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi again - try tractor supply, their 4Health and Paws and Claws isn't expensive and is decent (brick and mortar as well as online), plus if you have grocery store chains, check them for "house" brands.

For example King Soopers has Pet Pride, also Sheba and Abound and Luvsome. Walmart also has SPecial Kitty, and Pure Balance.

These are all decent foods that I think/hope won't break the bank for you. In addition, most of these brands have kibble but possible check into Dr Elseys cleanprotein dry food.
I'll look into them. Thank you!! :blush:

SerenaM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here's a few pictures of her from the top and of her nipples. Couldn't get good pictures from the front since shes always lying down or rubbing against me :lol:. As you can see, her nipples aren't noticeable at all, which is why I'm doubting she is pregnant, but she has that lump on her stomach. When you look at her from the front or back when she's walking, it's even more noticeable. Her belly just waddles from side to side, looks so awkward on a kitty with such a little head and lean legs. Hopefully we can get her to the vet this weekend. Have to see.

IMG-0414.JPG
IMG-0415.JPG
IMG-0422.JPG
IMG-0425.JPG
View attachment 244394

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally speaking, it's safe to assume any unspayed cat that has been outside or exposed to a tomcat is pregnant. But her nipples don't look pink or enlarged to me. So she may just be wormy or fat. She may already be spayed (some dumped pets are). Hopefully the vet can sort that all out.

SerenaM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Generally speaking, it's safe to assume any unspayed cat that has been outside or exposed to a tomcat is pregnant. But her nipples don't look pink or enlarged to me. So she may just be wormy or fat. She may already be spayed (some dumped pets are). Hopefully the vet can sort that all out.
So a firm round stomach could be worms? I also feel these little "pops" or "heartbeat" like movements when I hold my hand against her stomach. And I have no idea about being spayed, since I just met her. Just so many things suggesting pregnancy, but her nipples have me doubting.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, I once took in a stray I was certain was pregnant, and even thought I felt movement. She was not pregnant. So I don't know what I felt but maybe digestion. So. I don't know, I've been fooled before.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, I once took in a stray I was certain was pregnant, and even thought I felt movement. She was not pregnant. So I don't know what I felt but maybe digestion. So. I don't know, I've been fooled before.

SerenaM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh wow. I guess we just need to wait for the vet to figure out what's up with her.

mommallama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet I took mine to today, knowing that she was probably pregnant but we had no history on her and the belly could be caused by something else, only charged for the exam, and did the ultrasound and a nail trim on her for free. Worth looking into for vets near you ;) Would love an update