Possible stray cat

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think we may have a stray cat. He is a massive black and white boy. It started a couple of months ago when I left some frozen chicken breasts out and the next morning they had disappeared. A few days later I saw the cat wander out of my back room!

He then started creeping in and hiding behind the sofa. If I put my hand down there and spoke to him he would bunt my hand and purr. I even coaxed him out and me and my son stroked him. One night I woke up to see him sitting on my windowsill.

Because our male cat got upset we had to get him out and we locked the cat flaps from the outside. Spot our 6 month old kitten now goes outside independently and we opened the flaps up 3 days ago. Lo and behold he is now back and hiding under the sofa again. He seems sad and is happy to just curl up there. I imagine he creeps out at night to eat.

Is he an opportunist cat or a stray.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
To me, this does not sound like a feral. That being said, he could be someone's pet, or could have previously been someone's pet that they abandoned.
I'd suggest taking his picture and posting fliers around your area, asking if this is anyone's pet and give them a way to contact you. If no one responds, and you're willing, take him to the vet to be scanned for a microchip.
If all of those options fail to find an owner, you might have a new kitty in your life.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
He is not a feral. I don't know what I would give for all the ferals I have had to trap if they would have voluntarily walked inside and sat down to visit.

My guess is abandoned pet but I would do as Mr. Meow Mr. Meow suggests and see if he has an owner or a home. He may have a careless owner. Having said that, my Daddy Cat from years ago, who was an indoor outdoor cat, would walk into neighbors' houses and eat any cat food he found, or other available food and then take a nap on their sofa or bed. He was a real Goldilocks in that respect.

The cat you are describing seems a little too attached to your house though which is why I think he is a lost or abandoned pet. Daddy Cat himself was an abandoned pet originally. His owners left him when they moved and he actually came to my house much in the same way I described that he visited others.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! Please do check around to see if he is a lost kitty and if you cannot find his family, help him. Abandoned, lost or dumped kitties do not do well over long periods without help. His human may have become ill or even passed away. He obviously was scared at first and timid in getting to know you so that suggests he may have been without human care. Coming in and hiding so near you also shows that he chose you as people he trusts which is an honor not given to everyone. You have demonstrated to him that you are a kind and caring person. There are methods that can be used to help your other cat to accept him and integrate him into your family. I really hope you can help him. You could be saving his life. Everyone here will be happy to help you with any questions or to help you with the integration into your home. Thanks for writing in about him!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby. I hope you can find his family. He feels safe in your home.