Possible Primordial Pouch Rash/Swelling

Andre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new here. I hope I'm posting properly and in the right place!
As my post title suggest, I'm concerned with a possible rash and swelling at the belly pouch.
I first noticed when he was laying at my side on the couch cleaning himself and he started lightly chewing a little in that area like it was irritated.
When I looked closer, it looked red with a few tony little bumps. Also, when he sits facing me, I can see the pouch a lot more I think, and looks a little swelled maybe. It also looked like that entire area was a lot more hairless than normal.

Any advise to help my little Peanut?
Other than "Take him to the vet". (I'm already planning on taking him it if it doesn't get better really soon, and no one can offer any advise that might help.)
Thank everyone!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This may be as simple as fleas, if he has an allergy to them. It can cause rashes and over-grooming with hair loss. Serious over-grooming and the irritation from that could cause some mild swelling. Until you are able to get him in, try swabbing the area with a chilled cup of chamomile tea. Brew it, chill in the fridge and apply with a cotton ball. Since it is safe internally at correct dosages, it won't matter if he grooms it off. Use plain, unblended chamomile tea bags. I always recommend using the commerical bags because they are ALL German chamomile, which is medicinally active (antibacterial and antifungal), soothing, and safe for cats. The English variety, which grows in many gardens, is useless and toxic to cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Andre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This may be as simple as fleas, if he has an allergy to them. It can cause rashes and over-grooming with hair loss. Serious over-grooming and the irritation from that could cause some mild swelling. Until you are able to get him in, try swabbing the area with a chilled cup of chamomile tea. Brew it, chill in the fridge and apply with a cotton ball. Since it is safe internally at correct dosages, it won't matter if he grooms it off. Use plain, unblended chamomile tea bags. I always recommend using the commerical bags because they are ALL German chamomile, which is medicinally active (antibacterial and antifungal), soothing, and safe for cats. The English variety, which grows in many gardens, is useless and toxic to cats.
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping it wasn't related to flees, and I had my doubts also because he's pretty much confined to the same 2 -3 rooms and has never been outside. He doesn't overly scratch himself anywhere else, and hasn't really spent much time in the area in question as far as I can tell, but I can't watch all the time so I'm not 100% sure. I've heard of over grooming elsewhere also, and it sounds like a possible culprit. He seems to have less fur in that area from what I remember. Gonna keep watching!
THANKS AGAIN!!
~ Andre

Effie T.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new here. I hope I'm posting properly and in the right place!
As my post title suggest, I'm concerned with a possible rash and swelling at the belly pouch.
I first noticed when he was laying at my side on the couch cleaning himself and he started lightly chewing a little in that area like it was irritated.
When I looked closer, it looked red with a few tony little bumps. Also, when he sits facing me, I can see the pouch a lot more I think, and looks a little swelled maybe. It also looked like that entire area was a lot more hairless than normal.

Any advise to help my little Peanut?
Other than "Take him to the vet". (I'm already planning on taking him it if it doesn't get better really soon, and no one can offer any advise that might help.)
Thank everyone!

Effie T.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, i am dealing with exactly the same problem! Everything you said is exactly what describes the situation of my cat. My doctor has no idea why the pouch is reddish with less hair. Did you find out what was responsible for it? Can you please share it? Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello, i am dealing with exactly the same problem! Everything you said is exactly what describes the situation of my cat. My doctor has no idea why the pouch is reddish with less hair. Did you find out what was responsible for it? Can you please share it? Thank you!
Hi and welcome to TCS! The OP has not been back on this site since 11/24/2020, so I doubt you will get a response from them. If fleas have been ruled out, then could it have to do with something your cat is sitting on that comes in contact with the pouch area? Or, maybe that area is getting overheated due to how s/he lays/sits? I honestly have no other ideas.

If the rash and/or swelling is not spreading elsewhere and isn't causing open wounds/skin, it might be something to continue to observe for changes. If it gets worse, then you will need to insist the vet gives you something to help.

How is your cat doing otherwise? Is s/he overgrooming that area?

Last edited:

Effie T.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! The OP has not been back on this site since 11/24/2020, so I doubt you will get a response from them. If fleas have been ruled out, then could it have to do with something your cat is sitting on that comes in contact with the pouch area? Or, maybe that area is getting overheated due to how s/he lays/sits? I honestly have no other ideas.

If the rash and/or swelling is not spreading elsewhere and isn't causing open wounds/skin, it might be something to continue to observe for changes. If it gets worse, then you will need to insist the vet gives you something to help.

How is your cat doing otherwise? Is s/he overgrooming that area?
Thank you so much for your thoughts, really you help a lot! Yes, she overgrooms the area and i think this is the reason of the less hair there... 4 months ago she had fleas, not for long as i realised it early. Maybe it started during that time and left a sensitivity on the area since then... I will watch it closely and i hope it will get better! Thank you again for your time and your help!!