Possible Leishmaniasis, please help.

emmara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat has wounds on his neck that won't heal after 2 years. He is domesticated and friendly but has this skin problem.

Symptoms:

- wounds on neck that wont heal

- droopy eye and possible inflammation of the third eyelid

- underweight despite having plenty to eat

- no changes in mood or energy as he is very sweet and affectionate

We live in a remote area in Italy and do not have access to a vet. If we can get him some oral antibiotics or antifungals from online that would be wonderful.

My uncle suspects leishmaniasis and this is in line with the following symptoms (I've highlighted the ones my cat has):

• Skin lesions (ulcerative, crusty, nodular or scaly dermatitis)
  • Lymph node enlargement
  • Weight loss
  • Ocular lesions (nodular blepharitis, uveitis, panophthalmitis)
  • Decreased appetite
  • Chronic gingivostomatitis
  • Lethargy

I have been giving him cream to heal the wound. If it is leishmaniasis I can give him some medicine to put in his food as well, but not sure which medicine and where to get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

emmara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Graphic image spoiler:
D43D69E9-54D5-4229-A85F-5BF1ABB9FB93.jpeg

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!

have ALL symptoms been there for two years or "just" the wound that won't heal?

he looks and it sounds like he really, really should see a vet. May I ask which region of Italy you are in? Maybe we could do something to help you get to a vet, depending where you are.
Otherwise could you try to consult with a vet over the phone at least?

Antifungals and antibiotics will need a prescription for cats in Italy. They are much stricter about it than with human meds, so if you buy online without prescription who knows what you could be buying. I wouldn't recommend it.

What cream are you using on that wound?

As for leishmaniasis, it could be that but... it could also be a slew of other things that just come together because he isn't in a great state of health. If you could consult with a vet, if it isn't at all possible to see one, I'd again advise against trying to give him meds when there isn't a diagnosis and who knows what meds you'll be getting from online.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if Antonio65 Antonio65 would know of any mobile vet in Italy or one you could call and get advice from.

emmara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

have ALL symptoms been there for two years or "just" the wound that won't heal?

he looks and it sounds like he really, really should see a vet. May I ask which region of Italy you are in? Maybe we could do something to help you get to a vet, depending where you are.
Otherwise could you try to consult with a vet over the phone at least?

Antifungals and antibiotics will need a prescription for cats in Italy. They are much stricter about it than with human meds, so if you buy online without prescription who knows what you could be buying. I wouldn't recommend it.

What cream are you using on that wound?

As for leishmaniasis, it could be that but... it could also be a slew of other things that just come together because he isn't in a great state of health. If you could consult with a vet, if it isn't at all possible to see one, I'd again advise against trying to give him meds when there isn't a diagnosis and who knows what meds you'll be getting from online.
Hi, thank you so much for your response.

“Just” the wound, yes. 2 years ago he had a wound that wouldn’t close. Now, and I saw him two years after (he is my grandparents cat, I visited them in Italy), the additional symptoms of droopy eye and weight loss have been added, as well as the wound got bigger.

I was giving him this cream in my 2 week stay in Italy: HYPERMIX CREMA/GEL 30ML : Amazon.it: Bellezza

It seemed to at least allow his wound to close because he keeps scratching and re opening it.

As for where I am in Italy, I am actually in Southern California and trying very hard to help a cat at a distance XD. He is in cervarezza,ventasso,Reggio Emilia, Italy.

Unfortunately for my family over in italy, the cat is not really a priority. He is one of their semi domestic cats and they don’t vaccinate or take any of them to the vet. They just kind of feed them and the cats live outside on our land.

For this reason, I REALLY doubt anyone will take him to a vet. I would but I am not over there. :(

Is there a trustworthy online vet consultationt that can diagnose him? Maybe where I can send pictures?

thank you all <3

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just checked where that place is in Italy, and I'm not familiar with the area, unfortunately.
I doubt an online vet consultation is available in that area, unless one has subscribed sort of an insurance or a loyalty card to a pet supply store chain.
I know that there are certain online services, but I never tried them, so I can't guarantee the result.
One of this is VetOnLine24 - Veterinari Online 24 ore su 24 , also an App for cell phones. This should be for free.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could try to contact vets in Reggio or maybe Modena. As they're bigger cities, you may be able to find one that will consult on phone or even online. It's not ideal but if no one will take him to a vet, it's still better than nothing I guess.

Do you speak Italian to speak with them? Or would your family consult with them on phone/ online?

Did the wound close back then and open up again? Do you have any idea when the other symptoms started?
Does he eat and act normally despite this wound?

emmara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, thank you for the advice. I do speak Italian, but my problem is: could a vet prescribe medication online? Could he/she even identify what is wrong with the cat without taking a skin culture?

I have re ordered HYPERMIX CREMA/GEL 30ML : Amazon.it: Bellezza to their address and am going to ask my uncle to put it on him. He is just so docile and sweet, he was really easy to medicate even on the wound.

Last time I saw him in October 2021, the wound was closing. After I left, I do not know as I have not seen him since.

I think a consistent application of the cream will prevent him from scratching it and re opening it. I hope it will form a scab and heal completely.

The other symptoms, I do not know when they started.

Thankfully-- he does eat and act normally despite the wound! He eats plenty and has a good appetite and has pretty normal behaviour for an 8 year old cat.

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I mean, they can't give a certain diagnosis online or through pictures. But if you are certain they won't take him to a vet. Is there any chance you could convince maybe your uncle or anyone really to take him to a vet?

How old is the picture you shared above? Do you have pictures of his eyes?

emmara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately the chances are slim to none :(

The pic is from October 13th and sadly we have no pic of his eye. It's just one eye that has a problem. It is a bit closed and droopy. His third eyelid is visible and it droops down.

emmara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The closest thing to what his eye looks like is this, although there is no cut or crusting.

Graphic image
035c57b4a188987a2248933a8e4b0e7c4b3633d7.jpeg

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible to convince your parents and/or uncle to take more photos from every angle of the cat's neck and eye so that a vet can try to understand it?

I doubt that a vet would prescribe some medications by looking at the photos, especially if the vet does not know you or the cat.
What they could do is that they advise you about something that does not require a prescription, like the cream you ordered on Amazon.
There are other creams that can repair the skin lesions, like Connettivina Gel, or Iruxol.
They do not need a prescription, but the cat could need an e-collar.
As for the eye, we need more info or a photo.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I hadn't seen the photo of that eye, so I think he might need an antibiotic, like Colbiocin, I think.
This does want a prescription, though.

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Depending how much time you can invest, you'll eventually find a vet who'll make an educated guess and may give you a prescription for am antibiotic.

Have you tried linking up with volunteer groups? I know Modena or Reggio aren't exactly round the corner but close enough to maybe find a willing vet / volunteer to put you in touch?

emmara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you.

I wonder if if the eye and skin wound are even related.

I will update if his wound at least closes after applying the Amazon cream (ordered and shipping to Italy Wednesday!).

It’s frustrating that I’m quite powerless to take that cat to the vet. But I’m trying my best with what I can. At least I hope that skin wound can heal ASAP.

Thank you for listening and all your help <3

emmara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will persuade my family over there as much as possible, but I don’t think they care about that cat as much as I do :’(