Possible Hot spot

robertwschroeder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat Lola has a spot on her right forelimb where it s red down to a sore with hair missing in the area, and on the left forelimb in the identical location it looks like she has been licking and the hair is missing but not licked enough to form a sore. We have 2 dogs at home and thought it might be a from a scuffle with the dogs, but the problem area is identical in location on both legs, so I am guessing HOTSPOT, and hopefully not as a result of fleas (she has never had them and is an indoor cat)

Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 12.05.53 PM.png Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 12.06.04 PM.png

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It very well could be, especially since she's doing the same thing now on the other leg. Has she been to the Vet lately? She should be seen for them to try to figure how WHY she is chosing these spots, and to try to get them cleared up. I know from experience that unless they can get healed up completely, she will continue to go after them.

Since you have dogs, I'm guessing they go outside, and it's very possible they could bring fleas inside. Do you treat all the animals for them? Not saying this is caused by fleas, just saying it's a possibility. YOU could even bring them in on your clothing, if they are in your area. Or it could be a fungus, or a food allergy, or one of many things. That's why a Vet is your best bet. In the meantime, you could try brewing up some store bought chamomile tea (in tea bags, not loose tea), let it cool, and dab it on those areas. It's anti bacterial, anti fungal, will ease any discomfort and is safe if she ingests it

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In the meantime, you could try brewing up some store bought chamomile tea (in tea bags, not loose tea), let it cool, and dab it on those areas. It's anti bacterial, anti fungal, will ease any discomfort and is safe if she ingests it
Seconding chamomile tea on the evidence of it being one of the most effective treatments for the acne breakouts I occasionally get on my face. This is obviously not the same as what Lola has, but I can attest to it being soothing, especially if the teabag is warm (NOT hot, as you do not want to scald her). This is, of course, NOT an alternative for taking her to the vet as soon as you can.