Possible fathers of my babies?

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I foster failed (well won imo) 3 kitties recently. Two full brothers, then a girl this year. I'm just wondering about cat genetics lol.

Fynnegan and Jethro are 1 year old brothers (1 yr and 8 months old). One is a longhair grey and white, the other a longhair brown tabby with white. Their siblings was another brown tabby and white longhair, and a grey short hair. Born Oct 11, 2018.
FB_IMG_1555976490135.jpg

This mom was their mom a grey/white short hair. They thought she was 2-3 years old, probably closer to 3 years old. So born 2015-2016.
momma.jpg
mommakat.jpg

There was the only older male found on the farm. He was a massive 14lb brown tabby short hair. Like a massive cat, he sadly was hit by a car and had to be euthanized.

The rest on the farm were older kittens, two long hairs one was a brown tabby another one a torbie, some short hair gingers, torbies, and greys who were 4-5 months old. And some other females. A tuxedo black and white short hair kitten was saved as well from that farm that was a lone survivor. My boys are massive cats, 12lbs but very big boned, very much like that tomcat. Just not sure if it's possible for two short hairs to have a litter of 4 kittens, 3 who are longhair. She did however, we believe, have two other longhair kittens that were from an older litter. She was protecting the one longhair boy, Stephen, from the other cats. This was him at 6 months.
stephd.jpg

2020-06-16 13.27.37.jpg
2020-06-22 14.27.55.jpg

my boys now as adults.

My 8 month old girl is from the barn next door (the cats mingled between the two barns). A litter of 6 kittens, 5 short hair, 1 longhair. Two torbies, one tortie, one black, and two tabbies.
5wke.jpg

Her mom looks similar to my boys mom and was born in 2017. We think she was the mom of this girl, which would make sense as there was a longhair kitten in the litter, and that little girl looks a ton like the older boy of Katie, Stephen.
mom.jpg
mom1.jpg

This was the only unfixed male that they could find. He's either a flame point or a red smoke maybe.
posdad (2).jpg
possibldad.jpg

my girl now at 8 months old, who does look a ton like Stephen, not only facial wise but body wise. She has the same poofy tail and short legs.
2020-06-22 14.29.11.jpg
2020-06-22 14.29.29.jpg
2020-06-22 14.15.48.jpg
2020-06-21 15.46.42.jpg

So I guess just wondering if you guys think that my kitties are related, and if you think the dads are possible or if there had to be other males? Ceriah
is very pretty with her coloring, especially in certain light. But I dont know if two shorthairs can have 3 longhairs in a litter or if there has to be a longhair male in order for that to have happened?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the parents are shorthairs carrying longhair, each kitten has a 25% chance of being longhaired. It can certainly happen that multiple kittens turn out to be longhaired.

Did you have a color question too?

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know anything about genetics but just wanted to say what beautiful cats they are!! 😍

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the parents are shorthairs carrying longhair, each kitten has a 25% chance of being longhaired. It can certainly happen that multiple kittens turn out to be longhaired.

Did you have a color question too?
Thank you, that makes sense. Been researching cat genetics and its pretty cool, especially when it comes to coat colors. When talking with the older owner of my girls mom she said she was silver mackeral tabby, not grey. My boys mom she said was grey so she does understand that silver and greys are different. My girls mom yes had the grey/brown stripes but seemed to be like the kittens were, with having a silver background, not grey. Waiting on new pics of the mom but I think its like her daughter (my girl's sister) but more brown stripes. Though her mom has been an outside cat for all her life so if she had black stripe it could have been faded due to the sunlight. Not sure of my girls coloring but some said she is a brown mackeral patch tabby? But she's not really brown its more like a grey/beige mix lol.
delphin4mont.JPG

Ceriah's coloring is pretty cool. She has predominately orange/brown stripes. Depending on the lighting its vastly different.
In bright light she looks very dilute, the cream orange in her paws almost blend to white. While in dark lighting she looks like she has a ton of black in her, and orange. Her coat is just very interesting depending on the lighting. She's over 8 months old now

2020-06-12 13.25.40-1.jpg
2020-06-12 13.31.36.jpg
2020-06-19 16.49.42.jpg
2020-06-16 13.33.05.jpg

ceriah5weeksold.jpg
<.. her at 5 weeks old, you can see she has the silvery type white markings.

Attachments

Last edited: