Possible causes? Cat not moving properly

SteveJohn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well Cat came in yesterday as it had been raining and she basically was all quiet, she went upstairs and didn’t go on her cat bed but instead on my bed, I popped up and went to stroke her on her back and she made a really horrible aggressive sound and hissed so I left her. She struggled to move properly and when she did she was really slow. I obviously was unable to check her over because she wouldn’t let me go near apart from a little stroke on her head.

Decided to see how she was the following morning as this was nearly night time when she came in, she was still quiet but then I noticed she was eating fine, even started to play fine and her movement was fine and she let me stroke her fine.

has anyone any ideas of why she was like this or the sudden turn in health after only half a day.

the following thoughts like

-cat fight
-had an awkward fall
-someone had hit her or worse a pellet shot wound but I’m sure she would be really bad if this happened.

Any thoughts? I’m gonna she how she is for the next 24 hours before deciding whether to go the vets if she goes back to being quiet and not letting anyone near.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Is it possible you spooked her/she didn't expect the stroke to her back? Cats are funny like that!

Though I went through something like this with Sammy. He didn't move funny but would get extremely irritable with me if I touched his back area. After awhile it went away and I never brought him to the vet because he seemed fine otherwise. Just monitored him.

Can you feel a BB or anything now? We had a dog once that was shot with a BB gun by some bratty little kid out the window of their apartment and because he was a mini pin we could feel the BB lodged in his skin. Vet couldn't remove it without damaging the dog, so poor thing had it lodged in his hip the rest of his life, but I mean it was something we could feel when we touched. Though I assume if she had been shot with a BB gun if you didn't feel the BB, you'd at least still see signs of pain. Those things hurt. Nino (the dog) was NOT okay quickly, we also had to rush him to the vet.

Cat fight or awkward landing seems more likely -- I actually assume an awkward landing is what hurt Sam, since the big fluff likes to get up high on shelves in the utility room then jump straight down for some reason.

I'm glad your baby is doing okay now!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SteveJohn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To be honest I’m not sure what’s wrong I can’t see anything or feel her to check properly but she is back to normal which makes it so strange it was literally like she couldn’t move properly last night

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It could have been an awkward fall or even something happened if she was trying to escape an attack from another cat or other animal. That would have also spooked her and made her react the way she did to you. If she is eating/drinking and moving better, just keep an eye out on her.

For now, I would suggest that you do not let her back outside until she has completely returned to normal, including her letting you pet/touch her so you can check her out a bit more closely.

If you have cameras outside anywhere, you might want to check them to see if you are catching site of another animal in the area that might be bothering/upsetting her.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
For now, I would suggest that you do not let her back outside until she has completely returned to normal, including her letting you pet/touch her so you can check her out a bit more closely.
:yeah: I absolutely agree, please do not let her back outside tonight. It would be safest to keep her indoors until you are 100% sure she is ok. Cats tend to hide their pain so if she will not let you touch her other than a stroke on the head I would err on the side of caution and contact your vet. Better to be safe than sorry. ;)

SteveJohn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, well I put a collar on her today and I’ve seen a couple of cuts like dark and one seemed newer and also like a round lump but I can’t feel it again. The cuts seem to be short little lines. She is defiantly staying inside until she is better and if she doesn’t improve to her normal self I’ll take her the vets but for now she is eating and playing so I’ll leave her be as I don’t like stressing her out going the vets too much.
C3EB4C69-A048-4788-A07C-3CDCAF339F55.jpeg

SteveJohn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I’ve found this on Luna today, probably the culprit for causing her trouble. Does this look like a cat bite wound?
EE6370B1-5500-4A5A-99DD-80217C0C413A.jpeg

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
_lease make your cat an inside only pet!

Nothing good can happe
n to an outside cat! Attacks from other cats and dogs. And depending where you live, attacks from wild animals such as raccoons and coyotes!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That doesn't really look like a cat bite. A tick bite, maybe. What area do you live in? Do you know the tick-borne diseases common to the area?

SteveJohn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That doesn't really look like a cat bite. A tick bite, maybe. What area do you live in? Do you know the tick-borne diseases common to the area?
Over in England, I’m hoping it’s not ticks.