Possible brain injury

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
This is her, she’s called Misty and she does not approve of a camera in her face lol but you can tell how skinny she is I’ve noticed her eyes are normally quite wide like in the photo but I’m unsure if this is because it’s all still scary and she’s on edge but I’ll only be able to update the further into monitoring her ◡̈
She is beautiful. Hope she's ok

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep in mind that it's normal for someone who is being abused for their pets to be abused as well. So the incident was probably not a one off.

She is likely very scared to be abused more. The trembling could be a seizure, or it could be fear. A seizure will create problems over time. You can try keeping a journal of what happens before those episodes.

Keep being calm and gentle with her. You've got this!

There's support in the UK so I think you'll be able to find something to help you both and she can live a safe life with you. ❣

I found this in the UK. Perhaps if you explain the situation they can help: Veterinary Financial Assistance In Your Local Area | RSPCA.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KT1999

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I still can’t afford the vets however we’ve noticed that she’s not shaking as much, we have noticed she still does it but a lot more far apart, if not days apart, she’s also coming out her shell and she’s not bitten or scratched and headbutts us *very hard*🤣 and it using her litter tray!!!!!🎉
I just wanted to update you all on the fact we will be keeping her now, we decided with her using the litter tray all she needs is patience and love and we was willing to give that anyway, we understand she was probably physically hurt in her old home but this home she will be loved and spoilt and she never has to worry about someone else hurting her or her being scared giving her to a rescue, now the only other issue is my other cat doesn’t really like her and they’re having issues but not physically more like a few horrible growls or hisses here and there but I think that’ll be because of the territory of two females, any tips on how to help them get along? They will eat from the same bowl but don’t like looking at each other ? 🤣

she’s a lovely cat and we love her to bits… thinking about changing her name just so she’s completely separated with the rough life she had before, thinking about calling her ‘Cleo’ after cleopatra (she’s got a Siamese looking body but she’s grey and looks like those Egyptian cat statues) can 4 year old cats get used to a new name?

thank you for everyone’s support on the last post x

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KT1999

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Keep in mind that it's normal for someone who is being abused for their pets to be abused as well. So the incident was probably not a one off.

She is likely very scared to be abused more. The trembling could be a seizure, or it could be fear. A seizure will create problems over time. You can try keeping a journal of what happens before those episodes.

Keep being calm and gentle with her. You've got this!

There's support in the UK so I think you'll be able to find something to help you both and she can live a safe life with you. ❣

I found this in the UK. Perhaps if you explain the situation they can help: Veterinary Financial Assistance In Your Local Area | RSPCA.
Sorry I saw this and I don’t know why my reply didn’t go through, we’ve made a decision that we’re keeping her, She’s no problem but I don’t want her to go round the houses looking for someone to treat her right when we treat our cats like royalty, nala is a tough nut and although she doesn’t like the new cat, she’ll get over it🤣
These seizure type actions are getting further apart too but she cowers we’ve noticed and she still has symptoms like I can’t explain but she’s really odd it’s like she doesn’t have vision at the side of her head and only can see things straight on, and she tends to be inches away from the wall and just stares at it close up, but she’ll be okay, right now nothing is urgent so we’re focusing on giving her love and attention … she followed me to the bathroom for the first time this morning just to sit with me and then followed me back into the bedroom where she took residence in her favourite place, on the sky box where it’s keeping her bum warm🤣🤣

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Some of what is going on may resolve itself as she adjusts to your house. There is definitely some kind of residual damage from her previous life, but she will figure out where things are in your house, probably in the way that a blind cat will adjust to the surroundings. If you can, don't move furniture around.

She is showing a lot of affection and trust for you which is very touching. You may find that she was waiting for someone to be kind to her and now she has found you.

How To Help An Abused Cat Recover - TheCatSite
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat - TheCatSite
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction - TheCatSite
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide - TheCatSite
The information in some of these articles may help.