Possible Bowel Obstruction

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat threw up a hairball on Sunday morning (a small one). I checked the litter box to see if he pooped. He didn't; so I fed him some pumpkin to help get things moving. The last few days no vomiting or pooping; but he was his active self. Last night, he became a little lethargic and I called the vet this morning. Maybe 20 minutes later he had a solid poop - no straining. He ate his food/water and threw up a BIG hairball. I gave him some hairball medicine (just a little) and he's been sleeping. Which is his normal habit around this time. He seems fine but.......

Do you recommend that I still take him to the vet?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would just keep an eye on him, as long as he's eating, drinking , peeing and pooping then it was most probably the big hairball. If things change then give your vet a call

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would just keep an eye on him, as long as he's eating, drinking , peeing and pooping then it was most probably the big hairball. If things change then give your vet a call
I wished I had listen to you. My cat's fine; but I took him to a new vet and the cost for a "tummy ache" was $900!

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 5.32.14 AM.png

This was a VETERINARY clinic NOT a HOSPITAL. I can't trust their level of care. For example, the vet gave him pain medication. She couldn't explain to me why......considering he wasn't in pain.

I agreed to the X-ray because he was lethargic when I dropped him off. GI tract was clear; he just had food in his stomach. The Radiologist confirmed it! However, his pancreas was a little inflamed so I agreed to that test - he's fine. Then she proceeded to give him nausea medicine and then fluids. When I got him back, he was HIGH AS A KITE due to the Buprenex. The buprenex had his pupils dilated and he was pacing in his cage all night. He finally settled down at 6am.

Plus the vet wanted me to bring him back today for more fluids. (An extra $400!) Due to the horrible day I had; I wasn't paying attention. Now, I have to bring him back to the vet and have them remove the catheter. There's no way; I will allow them to continue to care for him.

He's been eating wet cat food and drinking water all night. Plus I'm returning the food as soon as they removed the catheter.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry both you and your cat have gone through this, vets just don't know what to charge, its really annoying. You did what you thought was right for your cat because you love him so put the experience behind you and find another vet that you can put your trust in.