Porus One - Another rip off?

007dualitygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My two cents here. I found this product (Walmart petRX here in the US). At first I gave my two ladies a half pack each per day. It had little effect. Then they kind of stopped eating and I got desperate so I gave them each their own packet first thing in the morning with treat broth. Within 48 hours, they were tails up and mouths open. They were eating about 1 can of 3 oz food once or twice a day and now they are scarfing 3-5 cans and pickiness level is below my frustration threshold. They have even wandered over to the kibble bowl. I am a true believer. No more puking either, although the house is cold. Kitty One has moderate kidney disease and Kitty Two has initial onset. Since I've been dosing them this way, their tails are up all the time. For reference, my little sisters are 15. I also give them some renal stuff from Standard Process but it seems like it's more support than fixing a problem.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My two cents here. I found this product (Walmart petRX here in the US). At first I gave my two ladies a half pack each per day. It had little effect. Then they kind of stopped eating and I got desperate so I gave them each their own packet first thing in the morning with treat broth. Within 48 hours, they were tails up and mouths open. They were eating about 1 can of 3 oz food once or twice a day and now they are scarfing 3-5 cans and pickiness level is below my frustration threshold. They have even wandered over to the kibble bowl. I am a true believer. No more puking either, although the house is cold. Kitty One has moderate kidney disease and Kitty Two has initial onset. Since I've been dosing them this way, their tails are up all the time. For reference, my little sisters are 15. I also give them some renal stuff from Standard Process but it seems like it's more support than fixing a problem.
Your input on this subject is important, this is such a new product that all opinions are completely valid. Personally it has every chance of working, charcoal is a true and tested product that neutralizes toxins. Porus 1 has been designed to not just remove toxins, it’s purpose is to trap them and lock them so they pass through the kidneys inert. I’m really happy that you have two hungry kittys

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am also buying Porus One from WalmartPetRX and have been giving it to my 16 yr old Jengo daily for 8 months now. Although I can't tell whether it is helping him, I'm afraid to stop giving it. I am surprised that you said you noticed a difference in your cats within 48 hrs! Maybe that's because they are in the early stages of kidney disease. I have to take Jengo in for a kidney blood panel this month and will see how his numbers are and will post another comment then. As for the Standard Process... I also was giving this to him until I read some comments about this product on another cat forum: Standard Process=Standard Nonsense |
Buyer beware. :-(

aussiecats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was asking for experiences from those re a specific product.
I live in the UK. One of my older cats (she's 12 now) developed signs of renal insufficiensy over 18 months ago. Her blood tests put her into level 2 renal insufficiency and the vet told me to feed her renal cat food. I am a retired human dietitian and that didn't sit well with me and my cat refused the wet renal cat food completely. I was lucky to see a different vet when she had her next lot of tests and she told me about Porus One and how it works - it's a lot different from the usual activated charcoal used in human medicine and is certainly not "crushed charcoal". So I bought some from the vet (not cheap but worked out at a few pence over £1 a day). My cat could have her usual wet food and doesn't seem to notice the Porus One mixed in. After a month on it, her bloods were back down in the high normal range and have stayed there. She is happy and energetic even with osteoarthritis too. Recently, my vet joined one of the large vetinary corporations and the cost of Porus One from them almost doubled!! I rang the manufacturer and discovered it's a non-prescription item so I shall be buying online from now on (same price as previously). Looking for online sellers is how I found this website and this forum item so just joined to offer my experience.

007dualitygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am also buying Porus One from WalmartPetRX and have been giving it to my 16 yr old Jengo daily for 8 months now. Although I can't tell whether it is helping him, I'm afraid to stop giving it. I am surprised that you said you noticed a difference in your cats within 48 hrs! Maybe that's because they are in the early stages of kidney disease. I have to take Jengo in for a kidney blood panel this month and will see how his numbers are and will post another comment then. As for the Standard Process... I also was giving this to him until I read some comments about this product on another cat forum: Standard Process=Standard Nonsense |
Buyer beware. :-(
My cats must be pretty sensitive 😂 We are definitely having appetite changes if I run out.

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in the UK. One of my older cats (she's 12 now) developed signs of renal insufficiensy over 18 months ago. Her blood tests put her into level 2 renal insufficiency and the vet told me to feed her renal cat food. I am a retired human dietitian and that didn't sit well with me and my cat refused the wet renal cat food completely. I was lucky to see a different vet when she had her next lot of tests and she told me about Porus One and how it works - it's a lot different from the usual activated charcoal used in human medicine and is certainly not "crushed charcoal". So I bought some from the vet (not cheap but worked out at a few pence over £1 a day). My cat could have her usual wet food and doesn't seem to notice the Porus One mixed in. After a month on it, her bloods were back down in the high normal range and have stayed there. She is happy and energetic even with osteoarthritis too. Recently, my vet joined one of the large vetinary corporations and the cost of Porus One from them almost doubled!! I rang the manufacturer and discovered it's a non-prescription item so I shall be buying online from now on (same price as previously). Looking for online sellers is how I found this website and this forum item so just joined to offer my experience.
Hello Aussiecats! Thanks for posting your experience with Porus One. Aas I said above, I have been giving to my 16 yr old cat for almost 9 months now. Took him in for blood test last week and his Creatinine was still high... went from 46.2 in Dec. to 50.2. His BUN went from 2.9 to 3.0. So basically his numbers were slightly worse in 3 1/2 months but the vet said that wasn't bad. His phosphorus was in the normal range. Porus One is expensive but the vet seems to think it is helping him so I will continue giving it. In the US I found the cheapest source was WalmartPetRX... much cheaper that the vet clinic as they obviously mark it up. Hope it works for your cat and mine in the long term. Take care. Barb

Delphiny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

My cat has been on Porus One for just under two years. She recently had a significant arthritis flare and as we'd always considered her Porus One an 'optional extra' because of the limited evidence for its efficacy I stopped it to prioritise getting her prescription painkillers hidden in food. Three months later her phosphorus levels have increased and she's now back on Porus One. It could of course be purely coincidence but our vet checked everything else that she's eating (all renal foods) and the only thing that had changed (other than the prescription drugs which would not affect the phosphorus) was the lack of Porus One.

We're trialling her back on it for three months and then will do bloods again. I'll report back!

I've also noticed that if I've run out of Porus One and am awaiting a delivery, if the wait is over a weekend by the Monday my cat is drinking more and licking her lips - presumably feeling nauseous. To be honest, whatever happens with her bloods (unless anything worsens of course!) I think I'll keep her on it - even if it just seems to help her not feel sick, that's evidence enough for me as I wouldn't want to be feeling nauseous all the time and doubt she wants to either! x

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

My cat has been on Porus One for just under two years. She recently had a significant arthritis flare and as we'd always considered her Porus One an 'optional extra' because of the limited evidence for its efficacy I stopped it to prioritise getting her prescription painkillers hidden in food. Three months later her phosphorus levels have increased and she's now back on Porus One. It could of course be purely coincidence but our vet checked everything else that she's eating (all renal foods) and the only thing that had changed (other than the prescription drugs which would not affect the phosphorus) was the lack of Porus One.

We're trialling her back on it for three months and then will do bloods again. I'll report back!

I've also noticed that if I've run out of Porus One and am awaiting a delivery, if the wait is over a weekend by the Monday my cat is drinking more and licking her lips - presumably feeling nauseous. To be honest, whatever happens with her bloods (unless anything worsens of course!) I think I'll keep her on it - even if it just seems to help her not feel sick, that's evidence enough for me as I wouldn't want to be feeling nauseous all the time and doubt she wants to either! x
Hello Delphiny!
Thanks for posting your observations of Porus One. I'm still giving my boy Porus One and I'm afraid to stop because I think it is helping him. Judging from your experience I am going to continue giving it to him. I didn't really notice that it helps with nausea though, but he is on Ondansetron. Hope to hear from more people who are using Porus One to confirm our observations. Take care, Barb

Beezycat

Houseful of Cats
Kitten
Purraise
Hi to all. This thread is from last year, but I just found and read it. I just started my two Stage 2 CKD male cats on Porus One. We're only two days in, so too early to say whether effective or not, but will keep you advised. If anyone has been using this product for any great length of time, I'd love your updated feedback, please.

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi to all. This thread is from last year, but I just found and read it. I just started my two Stage 2 CKD male cats on Porus One. We're only two days in, so too early to say whether effective or not, but will keep you advised. If anyone has been using this product for any great length of time, I'd love your updated feedback, please.
My Stage 2 CKD male cat has been on Porus One for about 2 years now. Unfortunately, as far as I know there is no way to tell whether it is working or not which is frustrating because, as you know, it's a pricey med. I am afraid to stop using it now.
:rolleyes: Sorry I'm not much help.

Beezycat

Houseful of Cats
Kitten
Purraise
My Stage 2 CKD male cat has been on Porus One for about 2 years now. Unfortunately, as far as I know there is no way to tell whether it is working or not which is frustrating because, as you know, it's a pricey med. I am afraid to stop using it now.
:rolleyes: Sorry I'm not much help.
Hi, and thanks for your reply. There IS a way to tell if it's working by doing a UPCR study (urine protein to creatinine ratio). Thus value should go down if Porus One is working.

I have dug deeper into this thread and found several cat owners who have their cats on Porus One long-term now, and they are very positive about the results! I look forward to retesting my two cats in three months to see if there's any noticeable change.

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, and thanks for your reply. There IS a way to tell if it's working by doing a UPCR study (urine protein to creatinine ratio). Thus value should go down if Porus One is working.

I have dug deeper into this thread and found several cat owners who have their cats on Porus One long-term now, and they are very positive about the results! I look forward to retesting my two cats in three months to see if there's any noticeable change.
Just noticed your comments. Don't think my Jengo has ever hat the UPCR done... just the regular kidney panel and CBC. I'll have to did threw his records and see what I can find. I am still giving it to him every day but question whether giving it in one meal a day when he eats 8 meals a day has much effect. ??? Wouldn't you think it should be spread out? Couldn't get an answer from the company.

Beezycat

Houseful of Cats
Kitten
Purraise
Just noticed your comments. Don't think my Jengo has ever hat the UPCR done... just the regular kidney panel and CBC. I'll have to did threw his records and see what I can find. I am still giving it to him every day but question whether giving it in one meal a day when he eats 8 meals a day has much effect. ??? Wouldn't you think it should be spread out? Couldn't get an answer from the company.
Hi. I would not spread it out, because it may reduce the potency. The serving envelopes were prepared to administer the entire contents mixed with one meal per day. My two CKD cats eat 4 meals per day, but I put the contents of one entire envelope in each of their bowls during their first meal of the day. And they eat Royal Canin Renal Support T or D canned food interchangeably, and they LOVE it!

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I would not spread it out, because it may reduce the potency. The serving envelopes were prepared to administer the entire contents mixed with one meal per day. My two CKD cats eat 4 meals per day, but I put the contents of one entire envelope in each of their bowls during their first meal of the day. And they eat Royal Canin Renal Support T or D canned food interchangeably, and they LOVE it!
You're probably right... maybe it stays in the intestines for a while to absorb the toxins. I was thinking that it would be eliminated with one meal moving thru and then the rest of the meals would still build up the uremic toxins. I just hope that it has been working since he's been on it for a couple of years now. No way to prove it though because other factors also effect his bloodwork... dehydration, medications, etc.