Poorly Mother Cat -? Litter Training Problems?

Emski87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
Mother cat Lola had 2x kittens 5 weeks ago. - both doing super well!
Yesterday Lola just didnt seem herself - seemed down and distant. She ended up sitting in a different room to the kittens (which she hasnt been out of their sight since they were born) This was odd - so i sat and cuddled her and she just laid sleeply.
Over the past week she has been miaowing more at us and following us around alot more - we presumed she was getting a bit bored as it was when the kittens were sleeping and maybe she was getting a bit restless.
Anyway as last night went on she ended up have diarrhoea. This continued through the night and this morning.
Shes still has an appitiete and i keep taking water to her (rather than wait for her to get it herself) just to keep her hydrated.
After her little alone time last night she did go back to tending the kittens and ive checked they are still milking which they are - but Lola has been asleep whilst they are milking which again shes uasually wide awake tending to their needs.
Im obviously unsure why she has diarrhoea but i have a theory (im unsure if its right so wanted to know if this is normal or if others have experienced it)
As of a few days ago the kittens have started nibbiling on solid foods getting more and more keen each day.
However I have not come across one wee or poo from either of these kittens yet. Lola is still attending to this department - which is why im wondering if this is the problem. If these kittens are now pooing after eatting solids then i presume Lola is eatting it - in which case i presume this wouldnt be great for Lolas belly hense the diarrhoea.
The kittens have full access to the litter box and have made no attempt to use it. Lola only seems to use it when they are sleeping so they dont see her using it. We have tried putting the kittens in after waking and eatting - but they havnt a clue what to do. Any advice on this would also be appriciated. As im unsure if my two problems are linked.
Thanks in advance.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat should see a vet. She sounds unwell.

Are you keeping Lola totally inside and away from intact males now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emski87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vet says they will see whats shes like when 24 hours have passed. Which will be this evening.
Lola hasnt been outside since 3 weeks before birth.
Shes due to be spayed once kittens are weaned.
Any advice would be helpful.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How are Lola and kittens doing now? At 5 weeks, they are likely a week or maybe two weeks from litter training. Kittens learn the box best between 6 and 8 weeks.

Continue putting them in before and after meals, and take a little paw and show them how to dig. They will catch on!

Is Lola better now?

Emski87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. Yes Lola is fine now thank you. She was ok that evening and nothing materialised from it.
One kitten is absolutley awesome with the litter box now. The other... well i think hes lazy and Lola keeps going to tend to him and he lets her. If I dont catch it then Lola cant keep up with the amount of wee and it ends up going everywhere. But im luckily enough to get him in the box for both poos and wees as hes bearing down to start them. He does do it right next to the box but he just will not do it the box unless im catching him midflow and putting him in there.
The girl kitty is great takes herself there now and does her business and off she trots!
Going back to Lola... we changed her food... could this have been a possible problem for the loose poo at the time?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I do think the food change may have caused her problems.

Food needs to be switched gradually, mixing small amounts of the new food with the old food. Then increasing amounts of new while decreasing the old over about 2 weeks' time to allow the system to adjust.

The other kitten will learn the litter box soon! :)

Emski87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Apologies for the delay!
Two sleepy little kittys in the photo!
(He still hasnt mastered the litter box yet - hes started doing his business anywhere and everywhere!!!?!?)
Mainly on a night when we are in bed!
Any advice on how to prevent this.
My mornings are spent playing hunt the poo!!!

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you putting him in the box regularly? They are adorable!

Emski87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I feel like im putting him in a hundred times a day. I put him in on waking and after food which people have suggested earlier.
he meows when he needs a wee or poo so i out him in, he jumps out. We then play this game 20 times over. It results in me catching his wee or poo midflow and I put him in then.
but on a night obviously I have no hope and theres always a poo in one corner of a room. The girl kitty is fine she just walks in does her business and shes good to go. Just dont understand why hes not following suit.
thank you.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope it's just a matter of his needing to mature for another week or two. I know this is very frustrating for you.

Emski87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes hopfully.
We will just persevere and fingers crossed he will grasp it soon.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you added multiple boxes? Are they low to the ground? Is the litter unscented?