Poorly managed seizures in kitten

Brom’s Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our kitten is 4-5 months old and has been dealing with seizures for two months now. Phenobarbital didn’t seem to work. Gabapentin did but she’s horrible at consistently taking her medicine. We have to mix in a powder into pate.
We took her to the ER the other night because she had a high fever, unknown origin. Possibly viral, we’ve had a bit of that.

The ER staff did NOT give gabapentin to her like I said to. She ended up having four seizures just during the morning. The vet gave her Valium and keppra which didn’t do a whole lot earlier. Then the vet recommended euthanasia. Eventually, gabapentin was given and she did much better. Regardless, now I’m forced to continue keppra and it’s making her hyperactive and too rough!!!

I have cried my eyes out today and I haven’t eaten, I’m so tired. We can’t continue keppra every 8 hours, with work that’s impossible. We go to our regular vet tomorrow but I’m so hopeless. Gabapentin does a great job but I don’t think it’s doing enough to stop them completely. I just feel like all the progress we made is gone.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi B Brom’s Mom

While you're waiting for replies here, you might consider putting her story to a specialized community of folks who focus on just epilepsy. They've been active for years and have had over 4000 owners and cats as members - that's a tonne of experience to draw on. They are on Facebook, right here: Epi-Felines (For Owners of Cats with Epilepsy or Seizures).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brom’s Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise