Pooping Outside Of Litter Box

Alyangel80

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! This problem has been going on with my male cat for about 5 months. He continuously poops outside of the litter box. He goes pee in the litter box but has not pooped in the box in months. His pooping outside of the box started as an occasional issue, maybe once a week he would do it. He would go on the couch or on the bed in my guest bedroom. I went out of town for 10 days in February and the person who house sat for me said he pooped on the couch every day while I was gone. Now he does it every day and only goes on the guest bed. I have taken him to the vet, he has had a few physicals, a blood panel, and a fecal test and nothing showed abnormal. After doing all of that, I tried fluoxetine. He stopped for about a week and a half while on the fluoxetine but wasn’t acting like himself at all. Then the problem came back full force so I stopped giving him the fluoxetine since he was acting so weird on it. I have 3 litter boxes in my apartment and along with him, I have one other cat. I’ve tried feliway diffusers, changing his litter, and changing his food. Nothing has made a difference. Please help!!!
Thank you in advance!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry you are dealing with litter box avoidance issues.

How old is your cat? Does he get along with the other cat?
Did anything unusual happen before this started?
Are the litter boxes all in one room/area, or in different parts of the apartment?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alyangel80

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for responding! He is almost 7 years old. He and the other cat get along very well! They’ve been together since they were kittens and have never had an issue. The litter boxes are all in different rooms. As far as anything unusual happening, no. I’m at a complete loss as to what is causing it.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have read that some cats prefer to poop in a separate box--i.e., with no urine. Since you have 3 boxes, is it possible to experiment with keeping one box just for his feces?

jinxybean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This sounds like anxiety as he responded positively to fluoxetine and because the problem intensified during your 10 day absence. Have you been spending more time on your phone or watching tv? Any changes in your life, and this can include having problems with a personal relationship, can affect your mood and sensitive cats will pick up on it.

VetriScience makes a pet calming treat called Composure. It's non-sedating and I've personally seen positive effects in lessening cat tension and anxiety. It has a stronger effect than feliway plug ins. Petco carries it and if it works, get the dog version because it's the exact same formula, just double sized for larger pets.

Alyangel80

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have read that some cats prefer to poop in a separate box--i.e., with no urine. Since you have 3 boxes, is it possible to experiment with keeping one box just for his feces?
I don’t know how I would make that happen? I’m not home all of the time with him and the other cat has full access to all 3 litter boxes as well.

Alyangel80

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This sounds like anxiety as he responded positively to fluoxetine and because the problem intensified during your 10 day absence. Have you been spending more time on your phone or watching tv? Any changes in your life, and this can include having problems with a personal relationship, can affect your mood and sensitive cats will pick up on it.

VetriScience makes a pet calming treat called Composure. It's non-sedating and I've personally seen positive effects in lessening cat tension and anxiety. It has a stronger effect than feliway plug ins. Petco carries it and if it works, get the dog version because it's the exact same formula, just double sized for larger pets.

Ok, I’ll have to give that a try. I suspect anxiety caused the issue as well. I’m just worried that it has become such a habit that even calming his anxiety won’t fix the litter box issue.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My female cat does this when she's constipated. Maybe try some hairball paste or treats or a food with higher fiber.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS Aly. I think your cat has a common problem and it is fixable.

Fluoxetine (Prozac) is an antidepressant for people that vets can prescribe for cats. Because of the behavioral side effects, a natural treatment is definitely better if he is willing to eat it.

Alyangel80

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS Aly. I think your cat has a common problem and it is fixable.

Fluoxetine (Prozac) is an antidepressant for people that vets can prescribe for cats. Because of the behavioral side effects, a natural treatment is definitely better if he is willing to eat it.
Ok, is there a specific treatment you recommend?

Alyangel80

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My female cat does this when she's constipated. Maybe try some hairball paste or treats or a food with higher fiber.
I mean, he’s going about twice a day. Could he still be constipated even if he’s detracting that often?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does the poop look really hard? You could also try increasing his canned food.