Poll: Was Gary right about Tuxedo?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Or is it too early to tell?

When Tuxie first came in (April/May 2003 - shortly after he turned 1 yr old), he could stand exactly ONE pet on a cheek. Gary always predicted that in the year after he turned 8, he'd become a lap cat.

As the first few years passed, and Tuxie still couldn't be petted for long without getting overstimulated, I asked Gary if he wanted to change his prediction. Nope.

Well, over the past year or two, Tuxie has become quite the lover. He's ALWAYS been a headbumper, and one of the most "love demonstrative" kitties we have - he just didn't like being loved on for long periods of time.

Now? He stops by to see us ALL the time for pets, and we can pet him endlessly. He does insist that you pet his cheeks, and that you alternate cheeks.
No such thing as overstimulation for him anymore (unless you pet the tummy.
).

Over the past month or so, when we're in bed in the evening, instead of hopping up and sitting at the end of the bed, staring at us, willing us to come to him to pet him, he's started walking right up and standing with his front paws on (one of our) legs and shoving his head in our face (and he bumps HARD). And when I'm sitting on the couch, working on the laptop, he'll jump up, and again, he'll stand on my leg, insisting on attention.

This last week, when he was standing on my leg, I grabbed him, and pulled him onto my lap, and he laid down, grabbing my knee with his paws and kneading while I pet his cheeks. This has lasted for several minutes before he bounces away.

But it's happening daily now.

Technically he becomes nine in April, so he's got another four months to meet Gary's prediction.

But does this qualify? Is he already there? He now KNOWS that if he comes to stand on my leg, I'm pulling him in my lap - and he stays, enjoying it for a little while before zipping off... ???????

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that if you started pulling him into your lap sooner that he would have accepted it. He's probably been ready for a while.

As for it counting. Its a lap and he's a cat that was sitting in it. It doesn't get any simpler.
Though he may be a bit older before he decides he wants to lay all over you for hours and some cats never do that.

I have one that doesn't really come to me for attention and has only climbed into my lap once when I was sitting on the floor. But if I put her in my lap she really enjoys the attention and will stay a while. Honestly Boo, the semi feral outside, asks for more attention from me than she does.
(though doesn't like to be held, but you sure as heck better let him know you're paying attention to his every meow)

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I voted yes! He likes to be on your lap, so....lap + cat = lap cat!
You have to give Tuxie (and Gary!) his due!

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like Gary was right! And, I, too, am never going to enter into a bet with Gary. I'm a sore loser and I think he'd beat me every time

It certainly looks like you've got yourself a lap cat in Tuxie. While he's still going about making his way onto your lap in a roundabout way, he is finding that he's comfortable on your lap and enjoys all the scritches he gets while laying there. That, to me, means you've got yourself a kitty who doesn't mind some lap time. And, as it turns out, by the time he turns 9, I think you'll have a full-blown lap addict!

So, yes, I voted for option #1. Tuxie, while he may have started off as shy and fearful, has come near full circle. And, me? I've learned that Gary is always right
!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, that boy is a lap kitty. And in the next few months, he just may turn into a lap sucker! He sure sounds like a sweetheart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just wish he'd let us clip his claws. That kneading on my knee HURTS! (Even with a big blanket on my lap.
).

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Considering that I have had cats jump in bed and lay on me without ever sitting in my lap, I have to vote that Tuxie is a lap cat. The progression from bed laying and lap laying is, IMO, not applicable here. But what is applicable is the fact that when you put him in your lap and he stayed, that does qualify.

It took Eightball about 13 years to learn to sit in my lap. Now he's there anytime it's empty.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

I'm going with option #3

HE needs to be the one to climb in your lap - you keep pulling him on, and he may figure out it's something HE wants to do!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

HE needs to be the one to climb in your lap - you keep pulling him on, and he may figure out it's something HE wants to do!
This! But ooooh so cute the progress

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I say he's not quite there yet because he doesn't come and sit in your lap of his own accord, but he'll be there by April